Photo
- - - - -

Which lenses & domes for 4K video with Canon 5D Mark IV?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Waterape

Waterape

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:04 PM

Anybody out there using a Canon 5D Mark IV underwater to create 4K video and willing to share experiences und recommendations? Im trying to find out if a rig based on a 5DIV would make sense.

I know the 1.7 crop factor in 4K is a limitation, but what about using the EF 8-15 mm? This should give roughly 14 - 26 mm in 4K which i would consider quite usable for wide angle video. How much fish eye distortion is left then? Any examples available using this setup?

TIA
Chris

#2 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:17 PM

I am using a tokina 10-17 on my 1DC and it is pretty good.

#3 Waterape

Waterape

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

Thank you kkfok!

Had a look at your videos - field of view is nice and not too distorted. As the 1DC has a 1.3 crop in 4K the 1.7 crop of the 5DIV should be fine too.

The footage of the 1DC is not as crisp as i would have expected - due to diving conditions or focussing issues?

Regards,

Chris

#4 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:17 AM

I don't have much chance using my 1DC, maybe I kept the aperture too wide open at Monad shoal and North Stradebroke Island.

#5 errbrr

errbrr

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

I'd suggest the Nauticam WACP and whatever the recommended lens is. I don't know what the crop factor looks like behind the WACP for video but there are a few in use around the world so maybe someone can chime in.

#6 dreifish

dreifish

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:43 AM

I'd suggest the Nauticam WACP and whatever the recommended lens is. I don't know what the crop factor looks like behind the WACP for video but there are a few in use around the world so maybe someone can chime in.

Yes, this would be the (somewhat pricier) alternative for wide angle.

You can use it with the Sigma 18-35F1.8 zoom if you're shooting only in the 4k crop. That would give you a pretty useful range once you account for the 1.7X crop factor plus you could potentially shoot quite wide (F2.8, maybe even F2) because the WACP takes care of most of the corner softness issuess you'd have with rectilinear wide angle lenses.

But none of these options give you any sort of stabilization, so that's probably worth keeping in mind.