23 replies to this topic

#1 imp

imp

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:01 AM

Hi guys,
i shot this last month and was wondering what it is. Neville says that he's not seen see in before. Other guesses from fish experts were terrabella and pipefish. Please help to confirm, thanksseahorse_3.jpg

Edited by imp, 27 June 2008 - 05:02 AM.

Imran Ahmad
Photographer

http://www.escapeinc.com.sg/
imp@escapeinc.com.sg
www.flickr.com/escapeinc

#2 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:07 AM

Wow, I wouldn't have thought this was anything but a sand and debris encrusted stick. Wonderful camouflage. How did it move?

#3 imp

imp

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

Wow, I wouldn't have thought this was anything but a sand and debris encrusted stick. Wonderful camouflage. How did it move?

it actually wriggle a bit .. so that caught my attention... But i still need confirmation on its species.. Pls help fish experts
Imran Ahmad
Photographer

imp@escapeinc.com.sg
www.flickr.com/escapeinc

#4 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:51 AM

I've gotta say it does look like one of those rather rare and unusual bark fish!

#5 imp

imp

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:50 AM

Hi Graham,
Could we confirm this, cos i've had guys saying that its a pipefish, terrabella and now a bark fish. heheh.. Was hoping that its a new finding? Please advise.
Imran Ahmad
Photographer

imp@escapeinc.com.sg
www.flickr.com/escapeinc

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8595 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:05 AM

Looks like debris to me too. Sorry Imran.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1994 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:54 AM

Any other photos? It looks like debris to me as well, but if you're still in doubt, more photos will help
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#8 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:11 AM

I'm still fairly sure it's a bark fish. I've seen lots and been shown lots too. I've even pointed out dugongs and other lareg animals only to find out a few seconds later that it's a greater bark fish, otherwise known as a log.

Funny thing is, photo journalist Ethan Gordon, who happens to now be the editor of Fathoms, was the reason I came about this name. He got ribbed for a whole trip, so much so that he ended up writing an article about the barkfish he kept finding.

Don't worry even us dive guides find them from time to time.

#9 imp

imp

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:18 AM

I'm still fairly sure it's a bark fish. I've seen lots and been shown lots too. I've even pointed out dugongs and other lareg animals only to find out a few seconds later that it's a greater bark fish, otherwise known as a log.

Funny thing is, photo journalist Ethan Gordon, who happens to now be the editor of Fathoms, was the reason I came about this name. He got ribbed for a whole trip, so much so that he ended up writing an article about the barkfish he kept finding.

Don't worry even us dive guides find them from time to time.

Hi guys,
Is what your seeing debris? Is a log considered as a non living thing? cos it wriggle and shun away and from the camera from time to time...

Attached Images

• seahorse_2.jpg

Imran Ahmad
Photographer

imp@escapeinc.com.sg
www.flickr.com/escapeinc

#10 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

I still think it's a bark fish, don't worry I've been known to get things wrong too!

It does look like a piece of debris that has been covered in algae and other small marine invertebrates.

#11 imp

imp

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hi Graham,
Thanks for the heads up. Its confirmed not a piece of debris. I had 2 other divers with me. Well, hopefully, i'll get this mess sought out. Thanks for your help.
Imran Ahmad
Photographer

imp@escapeinc.com.sg
www.flickr.com/escapeinc

#12 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8595 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:05 AM

Hi Imran,

Did either of the other divers have a camera - maybe one of them took a shot that made it look more alive. Even a bad picture could be useful.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#13 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:38 AM

here is something similar, this i believe is a pygmy pipehorse, please correct me if i am wrong on the ID.

not a great shot i know, but the eye and snout are more pipefish shapelike than the other image.

http://farm4.static....0a21c105e_b.jpg

Edited by stewsmith, 01 July 2008 - 01:42 AM.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#14 DavidScubadiver

DavidScubadiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:12 AM

The "right angle" on the head of the first specimen makes it look different from the pipehorse or pipefish shown above. In the spirit of "Touch the Sea", next time you come across a debrisfish, put your finger to it, and see if it swims away, or toward you. If it swims toward you, perhaps you'll be in for a cleaning.
Nikon D300/Ikelite housing and Ds-125 Strobe
Tokina 10-17mm
Nikon AFS 60mm

My Blog

#15 imp

imp

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:21 AM

here's another pic.
pic_4.jpg
Imran Ahmad
Photographer

imp@escapeinc.com.sg
www.flickr.com/escapeinc

#16 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

The "right angle" on the head of the first specimen makes it look different from the pipehorse or pipefish shown above. In the spirit of "Touch the Sea", next time you come across a debrisfish, put your finger to it, and see if it swims away, or toward you. If it swims toward you, perhaps you'll be in for a cleaning.

Yep, the only way to find out if a critter really is a non benthic animal is to put a finger near it, it'll either move away or, bite your finger off - only joking about the finger bit!

#17 imp

imp

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:05 AM

Yep, the only way to find out if a critter really is a non benthic animal is to put a finger near it, it'll either move away or, bite your finger off - only joking about the finger bit!

I did, cos it was shunning away from the camera. It moved and reacted like a pgmy seahorse
Imran Ahmad
Photographer

imp@escapeinc.com.sg
www.flickr.com/escapeinc

#18 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

Imran - Our member ATJ is a friend of Rudie Kuiter's. Rudie is an expert who wrote the popular guide to sea horses & pipefish. Why dont't you send ATJ a PM & ask him to forward your images to Rudie? Let us know if you get an reply from Rudie. Good luck -

#19 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:13 AM

Rudie says it is not a fish. He thinks if anything it might be a worm that covers its tube with debris.

#20 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:12 AM

Thanks Andrew.

Imran, in order to solve this mystery, I think you'll just have to drop everything you're doing to go back & keep diving until you find it again! :P