#1 srijiva

srijiva

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:41 AM

Hi

I'm new to this board so Hello and sorry if I manage to post this video incorrectly.

This is an edit I did for a book promo called Adrift, the book is amazing as is the footage from scubazoo, who have amassed a huge arsenal of UW conservation footage over the last 10 years.
I'm the in house editor for scubazoo, so hopefully some more exciting UW films to share with you guys in the future. Please let me know what you think.

Kind Regards

Sri

#2 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:11 AM

Hi Sri,

A very effective and powerful trailer- great editing. I look forward to getting a copy of the book.

Fergus
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

Sri, Professionally done though I hate how you tube just ruins everyones' imaging. This film and many of its clips continue to break the heart. Films of this nature have almost become ubiquitous within the underwater community and at film festivals. It is a shame that it is even needed.
Well done-
Steve

Ps Question that has bothered me for some time....if we divers and shooters are such ecologists, than why do we allow the main course on almost all dive boats to be seafood? I always send in my preferences form saying 'no seafood'. However, I am a hypocrite too as I do enjoy a tuna sandwich from time to time.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

Ps Question that has bothered me for some time....if we divers and shooters are such ecologists, than why do we allow the main course on almost all dive boats to be seafood? I always send in my preferences form saying 'no seafood'. However, I am a hypocrite too as I do enjoy a tuna sandwich from time to time.

I don't eat seafood, but when I raised the same question to other divers on a liveaboard earlier this year all I got back was blank unknowing stares. After a 10 minute discussion on the sad state of our oceans, the decimation of shark populations and the near collapse of commercial fishing stocks they promptly all continued to tuck into their fish curry, exclaiming how wonderful and tasty it was and they were all just as excited when it was back on the menu a couple of days later. We can't assume that all divers are as up to speed as we are on these issues, or more importantly they they even care..... :P Slowly we may get the message across through films like this one. Nice vid :bottled:

Cheers, Simon

#5 stillhope

stillhope

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

Very nicely done video! I have a couple of comments, and though they may sound critical, they are really about systemic problems we all face.

First, the video says something about these problems going "unnoticed ... until now." Well, that's not precisely accurate. The Cousteau family, as just one example, has created many books, movies, and TV shows to raise public awareness of some of these issues over several generations. Admittedly, their efforts weren't sufficient, as problems are still widespread, but were it not for them many of us might not have become aware of these issues and hence wouldn't be carrying on that work.

Second, I always feel a little disappointed when I see something that is intentionally more sensational than educational. Of course I realize that a promo needs to be an attention getter -- and I have the same problem as well trying to balance attracting attention with conveying more than soundbites. I just mention it to get that thought out there in the filmmaking universe so perhaps some people smarter than me can contribute suggestions about how to create a better balance.

Great job, I look forward to the book.
John F. Williams
producer of SEA-Inside: Pacific Northwest,
the PNW's ONLY underwater TV series
http://SEA-Inside.org

#6 srijiva

srijiva

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hi

Firstly thank you very much for your comments and kind praise. I'll try and answer some of the specifics.

I totally agree with the argument about abstaining from seafood if you are a keen diver it seems highly hypocritical if your main food on a live aboard dive boat or resort is seafood. After all, the majority of divers visit dives sites to see the marine life, especially fish - who would want to pay to dive a site that has been fished out? I have a few good friend who work in the dive industry and have recently either become vegetarian or do not take seafood full stop. However they are a drop in the ocean compared to the majority I know who love seafood. I am a vegetarian and always have been, coming into the dive industry recently I actually laugh out loud when I see people at dive resorts eating seafood and many divers talking about conservation and their love for animals whilst tucking into a tropical fish supper. Any fishing is part of a wider problem it is not ok to eat sustainable fish food because the way it has been fished causes wider problems. I hate to be the preachy vegetarian but it does make me laugh.

Now to Stillhope's point, firstly no offense and thanks for highlighting the issues that do raise interesting points for discussion. The idea behind the film was to portray the books new(ish) approach to conservation. The book trys to raise awarness through making people talk about animals and conservation in a more convivial manner. It is intended to give people more interesting things to say about animals and conservation. Say for example the Napolian Wrasse which is in grave decline but also is also a sequential hermaphrodite. This way of making conservation fun and interesting I find a nice way of engaging peoples attaention who may not usually be interested. I think we are both in agreement that we do need to find new ways of generating interest and grabbing peoples attention - hopefully this book will be a start!

I fully understand this short video is an attention grabber, however as a company Scubazoo have also produced longer films with a more educatiuonal slant.

All the best guys

Sri

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:31 AM

Sri, nice work on the edit and nice clips for the Zoo boys.
Funny you brought up that hermaphrodite issue. I do find the Lady Boy text somewhat strange. For those who don't know, lady boys refer to transgenders (pre or post op) in Asia, particularly Thailand. Such subtle cultural subtexts are often lost, and for some may be even offensive. While I understand your need grab attention and shock/controversy is a good way of doing so, I do think that particular juxtapose doesn't work. It's either lost as obscure (for those who don't know the connotation), illicits off color humor (har har lads laugh) or even offensive for those sensitive to these issues. The book is meant to create awareness and a little controversy is good. Still, that line is the only text from the video that stuck in my head due to the odd analogy, despite the great images and overall theme.
Also there're a couple typos:
1. it's "irreplaceably" with an "e" at 1:29.
2. "Unparalleled" at 4:31
As for fish, Omega 3 fatty acids have shown to be highly helpful in child development so let's not throw out fish as a dietary staple. At least 1 billion people get their protein source from the sea. It is being exploited no doubt, from overfishing to industrial and even agricultural pollution. However, some fish farms do work as do MPAs for marine life replenishment.
Btw who sings that song at the latter half of the video?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:54 AM

As for fish, Omega 3 fatty acids have shown to be highly helpful in child development so let's not throw out fish as a dietary staple. At least 1 billion people get their protein source from the sea. It is being exploited no doubt, from overfishing to industrial and even agricultural pollution. However, some fish farms do work as do MPAs for marine life replenishment.

I totally agree that Omega 3 is an essential part of the diet, but for many of us it can be obtained from non fish products. Also a high percentage of the Omega 3 capsules on sale are derived from shark products, which should be a heads up to anyone who has a pot that they take with their vitamins and didn't have a clue about how it could have been sourced. The fact that 1 billion people get their protein source from the sea is part of the problem, not a justification for fishing. Local communities fishing and gaining their food source from the ocean is entirely appropriate and with proper management is entirely sustainable, but at the other extreme no commercial fishing is sustainable. It never has been and it never will be. Throughout history we fish a stock until it collapses and then move onto the next target - it has happened for the last 400 years or more - the trouble is we are now running out of 'next targets'.

Sorry to detracted from the film but I just had to get that off my chest!

Cheers, Simon

#9 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

This really is going off topic and yes I agree that most major fisheries are in serious trouble and this needs to be addressed. However I believe the solution comes in three ways, reduction of bycatch which is totally unacceptable, introduction and enforcement of scientifically proven quotas taking a holistic approach and looking at the effect of other industries of fisheries such as farming (both aquaculture and land based), energy production, construction etc.
The benefits Omega 3 from fish have been well reported, however there is a great deal more to it than that and fresh fish contains a multitude of other essential nutrients and compounds that assist with development and healthy living.

I agree with that Omega 3 tablets can be potentially worse for fisheries, but also you really cannot substitute fresh fish with a tablet and gain the full benefits. Look at vitamin supplements, you will never be able to compare the nutrient value to eating your 3 fruit and 5 veg a day, in fact there are studies that show taking supplements can actually be detrimental.

How many fish species have been made extinct be commercial fisheries.... I would say none.

How many habitats have been destroyed by poor fishing practices and lack of education / research..... I would say lots!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#10 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Great job :bottled:
How long did that take to cut up?
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#11 srijiva

srijiva

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:26 PM

Hi

Firstly sorry to anyone offended by the lady boy text, no offense intended, I shall remove it and replace it with Hermaphrodite in future. I'm not in the business of offending people to get the point across I do however think that conservation needs a different approach to reach newer audiences. The Japanese have many programs which try to make conservation "cool" I love this idea and really feel it will speak to the younger generation and by making conservation fashionable people will try to out do each other in their efforts, and not just hard core eco-worriors.

Secondly I understand the nutritional argument for eating fish, and it is a great provider of many essential proteins and oils, but there are alternatives. I am healthy and have never eaten fish in my life, nor do I rely on nutritional supplements. However, the original point was one of the hypocrisy of divers eating fish. Doesn't the idea of paying to dive with fish and then have it served up for tea strike people as little odd??

Also the second song is By 'Sia' and called 'Breath Me'. Fantastic artist, who I stumbled across online.

Thanks

#12 srijiva

srijiva

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

Wagsy

it took roughly 4 very stressful days to knock it out, 2 days assembling footage and arranging the narrative, then the last two making it look sweet.

Was a manic job we needed to get out for the IUCN conference and it went down a storm there so very happy.

Sri

#13 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

Back on topic, sorry forgot to say that you've done a great job with the edit.

Looks awesome, it would be great to see it in HQ.

4 days is pretty good for the edit too.

J

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#14 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

How many fish species have been made extinct be commercial fisheries.... I would say none.

Within geographical areas including Seas or even Oceans? The answer is hundreds of species have become geographically extinct due to commercial fishing. A lack of awareness is part of the problem.

Cheers, Simon

#15 srijiva

srijiva

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:22 AM

Hey Guys

I really don't mind if we get off topic here, I am really interested in the dive communities ideas on fishing and eating fish and I don't need any praise for the video (thanks for it though)
I feel this video is intended to open up debates like this and I strongly feel that small steps like divers stopping eating fish can have impact on wider spread views towards how we consume in general.
We live in a wasteful and consumer lead society, that is leading to the depletion in natural resources. You as a community idealize these underwater resources yet at the same time help the industry that kills it off. Then I hear people complaining about finding nets on dives and of the state of the seas.

Just order the chips next time.

Sri

#16 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:33 AM

I feel this video is intended to open up debates like this and I strongly feel that small steps like divers stopping eating fish can have impact on wider spread views towards how we consume in general.

I got the impression that the video was intended to sell your book! :bottled: [EDIT - replace "your book" with "a book"]

Seriously, though. I think that as divers this is really one of the main issues that we should be continually taking to the public. We are the ones who see the impacts of overfishing - so we are the ones who need to tell the rest of the world about it. So I applaud what you are doing.

At the Antibes Festival last week, I went to two official meals and fish was severed on the set menu at both. Although they did provide me with an alternative when I asked. At the UK dive show meal there was no fish on the menu.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#17 Jason SZ

Jason SZ

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:44 AM

I got the impression that the video was intended to sell your book! :bottled:

Seriously, though. I think that as divers this is really one of the main issues that we should be continually taking to the public. We are the ones who see the impacts of overfishing - so we are the ones who need to tell the rest of the world about it. So I applaud what you are doing.

At the Antibes Festival last week, I went to two official meals and fish was severed on the set menu at both. Although they did provide me with an alternative when I asked. At the UK dive show meal there was no fish on the menu.

Alex

Hi Alex,
Hope Antibes was as good for you as last year.
Just want to clear the fact that it's not OUR book being sold, we were hired by someone else to create this video to sell their book, didn't want anyone thinking we were using the forum to advertise our book.

Cheers,
J

#18 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:00 AM

Sri, I wasn't offended but just thinking about the possible reactions. I know the Zoo crew... so Jason, I know you guys wouldn't try that here. :bottled: You still going to Indo later this month? I'm at the island on monday I think.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#19 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:38 AM

Hope Antibes was as good for you as last year.
Just want to clear the fact that it's not OUR book being sold, we were hired by someone else to create this video to sell their book, didn't want anyone thinking we were using the forum to advertise our book.

Sorry mate. Should read posts more carefully in the future. I have amended my above post.

Antibes and the Wildlife Photog weren't happy hunting grounds for me this year. Both three-year winning streaks over. :bottled: Seems my photography has peaked!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#20 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:52 AM

Alex. look at it this way... didn't your mum teach you to share with the less fortunate? :bottled:

Drew