• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chrisg

chrisg

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 05:26 PM

Just started copying my files from cozumel off the HD to the computer. these are my first digital uw photos ever (canon d60)

Right now my perception is its gonna take me a long while to be as productive with this rig as my film one. I had a pretty tough time getting proper
exposures. I thought this wouldn't be so bad as I generally used all manual settings for my film photography anyway, but the danger of over-exposue seems a lot
more severe than I am used to with slide film.

This was taken on the first dive. I was set up with the canon 100mm macro lens, which becomes something like a 160mm when attached to the d60.
I found this lens nowhere as nice on the d60 as on the film camera - the magnification is just too high for general macro...used the 50mm the rest of the time.
I am thinking it will be great for pygmy seahorses etc. Also this was in cozumel, and there were strong currents on all dives this week, which made holding still enough to take
a close up with this long lens very difficult, escp when getting used to the new housing.

This photo shows the heavy magnification - this is not a crop. In the unscaled version there is a lot of detail visible on each "hair".

#2 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:59 PM

Nasty stuff this fire coral!

Were you shooting in manual focus too? I imagine auto is pretty difficult.

#3 chrisg

chrisg

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:19 AM

yup - manual focus. My memory is I was just pegged at the closest focus distance and kicking against the current with my finger poised on the shutter to hit it at the right instant.

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:18 AM

Chris,

Wrockin shot m an! Were you using your strobe in full power? 1/2 power? What f-stop did you use at that strobe power?

I want to try this type of shooting soon too and any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 chrisg

chrisg

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 09:24 AM

Chris,

Wrockin shot m an!  Were you using your strobe in full power?  1/2 power?  What f-stop did you use at that strobe power?

I want to try this type of shooting soon too and any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
James

F22 (F32 might have been worth a try) using a solitary Dx90 strobe. I think it was around 7/8 power at iso100.

I should post a crop of some of the hairs - you can see a great deal of their structure in the full res image

#6 cjames

cjames

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 06:57 AM

Nice shot, you don't see hydrocorals with their polyps extended very often.