Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone used both Retra Strobe + Retra LSD?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:16 AM

Has anyone tried the retra strobe and the LSD together? At the moment my setup is a YS-D1 and a 10 bar snoot (without laser) and I'm experiencing the following issues:
  • Focus light is extremely weak. It barely works in the snoot at night time, and I had to use alu foil in the snoot to try and get as much light reflected out as possible
  • Even when the focus light does come out, it is off centre, I guess because the focus light itself it off centre
  • However, once it works, the results are pretty decent...

Now, has anyone used a Retra strobe + the Retra LSD? I'm looking at this combination, as I believe the focus light is centred, and the LSD will lose less light, thereby getting a stronger focus light, and one that will *actually* point at the subject? I'm wondering if the focus light on the retra itself is as strong as the Z330..?

Thanks,
sinetwo

#2 bear35

bear35

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:23 PM

Hello sinetwo,

I have both the Retra strobe and LSD.

The LSD fits via the bayonet on the front of the strobe so there are no issues with alignment or movement.

The focus light on the strobe has two brightness settings (I cant remember having to use the stronger setting) and shows a beam of light that is exactly the size and shape of the light that will be produced by the strobe. So for example if you have a nudi I taking a picture of, I switch on the focus light to align the light beam with the focus and take the picture.

I cant say if the focus light is as strong as the Z330 because I haven't seen one, but all I can say is I have had no issues using the focus light. I guess if you are using it in shallow water in bright conditions you may struggle but to be honest I would say it is as good as it probably gets.

Where in the UK are you? I can always let you have a look. PM me if you want.

#3 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:38 AM

Hi Bear, thanks for providing that information, much appreciated!

Most of my snooting would be during warm water hols, so that's why sunshine is a bit of an issue for me :)

I'm located in the south if that's near you? 

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2212 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:58 AM

If it's any help, I've been using the LSD with an Inon Z240 and had it in Bonaire earlier this year. Definitely a warm water hols destination (a balmy 27 degrees in the water) and good viz at around 15-20m.

No problem at all seeing the focus light below, say, 10-15m. But, yeah, problematic at, say, 5-8m. On a sunny day in the sand areas at about 5m before the drop it wasn't possible to see the focus light.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:03 AM

Am I over-engineering this? Maybe a 'ring flash' type red laser would be good for snooting  :lol2:

laser_from_behind%202.jpg

#6 bear35

bear35

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:33 PM

Hi Bear, thanks for providing that information, much appreciated!

Most of my snooting would be during warm water hols, so that's why sunshine is a bit of an issue for me :)

I'm located in the south if that's near you? 

I am in the south west, I sent you a PM.

I have used it in Lembeh and the Maldives this year with no problem, but to be fair probably no shallower than 10m. But once you have it set up you have issues at shallow depths just leave it set as it is and look for subjects that will work as it's set up??

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8599 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:43 AM

It is the best combination for the LSD - unsurprising as both are designed by the same company. Here is a photo from the recent Wetpixel workshop I ran in Lembeh:

lembeh18_WK1_038.jpg

I find the bayonet mount for the different diffusers and rings a bit stiff on my Retra flashes - but it's strength makes perfect sense when using the LSD.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#8 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:54 AM

Jeez Alex, serious kit there! I did see the blog post about your workshop, some pretty cool pictures generated from that.

Have you had a chance to trial the new retra strobe at all? I'm tempted to take a punt.

I'm definitely getting a retra LSD but on the YS-D1, the focus light is just too poor. If I need to shell out for a new strobe, it may as well be a retra I figure, if they're the best to use with the LSD?

Have you compared the Z330 and the Retra strobe's focus lights with the LSD? functionally I expect them to give similar results without the LSD, but for me the focus light is key for snooting, especially if you have a skittish creature and you can't afford to shoot and adjust a lot.

#9 bear35

bear35

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:42 PM

I have just seen a review by Alex Mustard for the new Retra strobe and it looks very impressive. Two models with one having a significantly stronger focus light and higher output... if your budget can stretch to it! The Retra web site has limited information about it on their website now.

#10 Herb Segars

Herb Segars

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:15 PM

Can you post the link to the Retra review?

Herb Segars
Herb Segars Photography
Olympus OMD-EM1 MKII, Nauticam housing, (2) Inon Z-240, Panasonic 8mm, Olympus 9-18, Olympus 60mm, Olympus 12-50, Sola 800

#11 bear35

bear35

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:55 AM

Can you post the link to the Retra review?

Herb

I can't but if you want to see it just go to facebook and look up Alex.

The review is only an above water to look at the strobe with the new features, I believe he said in the post that the strobe had not been pressure tested and was not for diving. So there may be a wait before there are underwater reviews.