• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Elainew

Elainew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hmmm....not too happy to hear that as I am getting measured up for a Northern Diver suit this weekend....I know you get what you pay for but it boils down to price in the end...it is half what a DUI would cost, 30% less than a Santi, Bare is just as costly over here...waiting for the Otter agent to get back...

Any particular reasons the ND does not do it for you?

I've not found the RBX very robust for UK diving. A leak in the leg, I've had to replace wrist and neck seals, the zip flap is annoying and the pocket had no drain hole (not major but annoying). More generally, it's just not felt up to the job I need it to do in the relatively harsh conditions we experience year round in the UK. As for the current Divemaster model, compared to the model from 9 years ago, they feel kind of cheap to me. Just my perspective but I would rather save and pay more for quality that spend less on a false economy.

#22 wthurman

wthurman

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

I use a Pinnacle- it's my first drysuit so I can't compare it to any others. It seems to be fine, other than the neoprene neck seal which got replaced with latex after the second time I used the suit; the seal is very fragile and tore easily. It was a custom fit and the cut is fine. When I get around to a new one, I'll look hard at DUI.

#23 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'll put a vote in for Seaskin suits from the UK. I got one of their Nova membrane suits + under-suit (both MTM) delivered
to Australia for half the cost of anything else I could find locally or from OS. Very happy with the build and how it is wearing.
One feedback I've heard about their suits however is to steer clear of the built in boots. That was fine by me as I prefer to
have socks on a Dry-suit anyway and use the Bare rock boots which fit the same fins as my wetsuit booties.

Been also looking at 4th Element under-suits for additional layers in the coldest months. Is anyone on here using any, thoughts?

Regards,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#24 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:44 AM

Been also looking at 4th Element under-suits for additional layers in the coldest months. Is anyone on here using any, thoughts?

Both my wife and I have used 4th Element for years - excellent stuff - I've found that the fit can be a little odd sometimes so if possible try it on before you buy.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#25 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:53 AM

I use the Fourth Element Xerotherm set as a base layer in colder water and as a standalone set in warm water. It fits well (if a bit snugly), dries easily, and is comfortable. I think the price is fair for what it is.

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#26 vetdiver

vetdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Running, hiking, attending beer festivals, and coveting shoes and new dive gear.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:08 AM

I currently have 3 DUI dry suits - a CF200 (mainly used back when I dove in New England years ago), a TLS350, and a FLX Extreme. I previously owned a Bare suit, but it didn't fit me as well as DUI's stuff. I can highly recommend DUI, and I especially recommend you look at the FLX Extreme (a reinforced trilaminate that dries as quickly as a TLS). I got it in spring of 2011 and have put over 200 dives on it...it is the best suit I've owned.

Keep in mind that I am biased towards DUI because I live in San Diego about 5 miles from the service center...but also because I regularly see one or more of their employees (at all levels of the company) diving locally. It wasn't long ago that we were diving a wreck on the Mexican border and surfaced to discover a few of them waiting for us to pull anchor.

Best, and good luck - as with all dive gear, it takes some time and experience to decide what works best for you :D

Allison

Edited by vetdiver, 20 January 2012 - 06:54 AM.

Canon 7D_Subal housing_ YS250 strobes

www.avitsky.com

#27 vetdiver

vetdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Running, hiking, attending beer festivals, and coveting shoes and new dive gear.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

One other thing - should mention that we now have 2 friends (one male, one female) diving the new Bare drysuits - I believe it is the SB system - RAVE reviews so far from both divers, and they look really awesome. My girlfriend is a very experienced diver who has used DUI, Whites, and Bare, and she couldn't stop going on and on about this suit. Lightweight and stretchy, and a very flexible, unusual flat (??) zipper. My only concern would be the zipper - how long will it last compared to a more standard zipper, and what is the cost to replace..? Certainly the latter information could be acquired right away, but the former question might require some time to get a non-manufacturer reply :D

Allison
Canon 7D_Subal housing_ YS250 strobes

www.avitsky.com

#28 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

The fit is the most important aspect: go MTM if possible but leave plenty of room for undergarments. If like me you have the sveldt grace and curve of a racing snake, it will pay dividends in the long run!

#29 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

IMHO, a dry suit is not only for sub-surface use but also for the surface internal and top-side travel.

I use either an O'Three 2mm compressed neoprene or a 5mm non-compressed neoprene coupled with either Fourth Element Xerotherm or Arctic. In mid-winter in the UK I can manage 90-120 minute run times with the 5mm / Arctic combination.

Call me a big girls blouse but I do use a full face mask in the winter (with a gas switching block)...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#30 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

I wear a MTM Scapa Scuba 9mm neoprene suit with xerotherm artics, bowstone warmer and Buffalo walking top with a pee valve, 9mm hood and lobster mitts. I can do an hour in 6degC.

i think my point is that you shouldn't be afraid to add layers: the sea is cold and if you are taking pics you are not going to be moving. like your mum said, put a jumper on!

HTH

#31 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

Thanks to all who responded. I got alot of good information.

#32 ians.moyes@gmail.com

ians.moyes@gmail.com

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, photography, computers. Pretty much anything geeky. lol

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hmmm....not too happy to hear that as I am getting measured up for a Northern Diver suit this weekend....Any particular reasons the ND does not do it for you?

I have a Northern Diver Cortex, so does my wife. I'd have to agree, my next suit wouldn't be a ND. Admittedly, they are both pepper dry but; we've dived <50 dives in ours, they're washed in fresh water and dried after every dive (we take good care of our gear) and I've had problems. Sticky zip, sticky valves, poor bouyancy control, the trilaminate has gone "fluffy" where it rubs on my cumberbund.

I used to have a Hydrotech neoprene and it was a lovely suit by comparison but; it leaked.
Wreck divers are always bringing up the past

#33 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

I went for a Seaskin in the end...not bad but it is my first suit so i have nothing to compare it to! It cost less than $1000 and custom size so not bad for a first suit...

#34 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

If you want an Otter, they do a lightweight suit. Keeping warm depends on what you wear beneath it. You may find this site useful: http://www.divernet....1/0/25/Drysuit/

Whites have been bought by Aqualung since the 'Scubapro' Whites suit was reviewed.

Edited by John Bantin, 04 November 2012 - 02:02 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#35 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hi
I use 0three RI100, which i have used for the last 6yrs with PBB system, both of these are great, plus you get great customer care.
I have dived in 2dec with this set up, its never the body that gets cold. i just need better gloves as it is always my fingers after about
30mins start getting cold.
Andy

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms