Defining the path to great Underwater Photography

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

It's interesting to see that negative aspects (don't harm the reef, for instance) are creeping in. What about the biggie: "it's too difficult, all my images are ****, do you want to buy a camera..."? I think that thought intrudes itself from time to time and it's the encouragement of our peers that carries us through to the good times, when we reach the next stage.

#42 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

What about the biggie: "it's too difficult, all my images are ****, do you want to buy a camera..."?

LOL, I'm thinking that may be another presentation entirely.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#43 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:52 PM

Thanks again for all the help folks, I thought I'd share how the chart turned out for the presentation.

The fonts look better in the real chart but you get the idea.

Photography_GrowthChart.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#44 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:40 AM

Thanks again for all the help folks, I thought I'd share how the chart turned out for the presentation.

The fonts look better in the real chart but you get the idea.

Photography_GrowthChart.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Excellent Steve; appropriate for all photography really
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#45 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

I've been thinking a little more: underwater photography is pretty much natural history, human history and divers. With the honourable exception of Alex's dancing divers from a few years ago, most diver shots are in the context of wildlife and wrecks. Somewhere along the line, there ought to be space for "research": learning the habits of the sharks, nudibranchs, sea-lions and so on, learning the history of your wreck, looking at other photographers' work, going away with people who can teach and inspire and a little more time for reflection.

I've been feeling a bit stale; it was stopping to think about controlling the way a viewer approaches the image and then considering what subjects would suit the technique, that let me win a prize at the British national "splash-in", as well as getting my enthusiasm back:

Plymouth_2011_006_Barn_Pool_radial_blur.jpg

Tim

:)

#46 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

Brilliant image Tim! I'm loving where you're going. Please say more about controlling the way a viewer approaches the image.

Steve

The Fin Foundation

#47 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:24 AM

Oh, I was trying to make you start by looking at the middle, concentrating on the super-sharp focus of my macro lens, and deliberately throwing the edges right of of focus: making you look at the technically exciting bit. The image was taken through a Cokin radial blur filter, cut (with a hacksaw and considerable difficulty) to fit inside my macro port. It's a work in progress, and I have some other ideas for similar effects (at least one, the LensBaby, was a disaster in the water!).

Tim

:)

#48 Mbarretts20

Mbarretts20

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

I realize this post is old, but this is one of the best posts I've read on photography- and the technical challenges of underwater added in. This chart is spot on.

#49 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thanks Mike,  there is an amazing group of people who contribute here.  I know I have a lot of fun learning from them. 

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation