• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#261 GeoPaul7

GeoPaul7

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

I have started to do "bite sized" films in going through my Raja footage.  Otherwise I would be overwhelmed.  I will make medium sized and large as well, but those take time and it takes much less time to edit a film on a specific subject.

I am giving people here the link of a film about a damselfish with a remarkable behavior.  It is  Dascyllus reticulatus.  It lives in branching coral, including spectacular specimens of table top coral.  Here, I think the species is Acropora pulchra, but I may be wrong about that one.  I filmed some Dascyllus in the Misool area in a couple of different locations.  

How many of you have seen this wonderful species?

Edited by GeoPaul7, 09 January 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#262 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:57 AM

My first contact with macro video. Sony FE 90mm GM OSS...

https://youtu.be/-E2sG0pdJ24

#263 GeoPaul7

GeoPaul7

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

My first contact with macro video. Sony FE 90mm GM OSS...

https://youtu.be/-E2sG0pdJ24

Very nice Alfredo.  I like your focus and the subjects are extraordinary!

#264 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:44 AM

Thanks but I need to inprove. I did it in two nights dives and was very triky tu use tripod and follow the subject...

#265 T.Reid

T.Reid

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

I wish I had the money for an a7s model but unfortunately shooting with just a a7 mk ii underwater at the moment, still having a lot of the same issues with WB etc though but have found that if I shoot in the auto underwater mode and then push right to get into the kelvin setting of it and adjust it based on depth adding more magenta it seem's too come out the best, still not great though.

I then usually try to colour correct it in premiere which does an alright job depending on the scene... yet to figure out davinci properly though which will take some learning.

#266 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

Last work at Red Sea...

Edited by TaxiDiver14, 10 March 2017 - 12:21 AM.

#267 GeoPaul7

GeoPaul7

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

Last work at Red Sea...

Thanks for posting Alfredo!  As I mentioned on my comment on the Vimeo posting, I very much like the way the video lights illuminated the golden fish in the foreground.  Nice work!

#268 howeikwok

howeikwok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:04 AM

From Lembeh Straits Dec 2016

Canon 50D/60mm macro/100mm macro/Tokina 10-17mm FE/Nexus Housing/Inon Z-240s

#269 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

Well done !!! FE 90mm OSS ???

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

#270 GeoPaul7

GeoPaul7

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hi Howeikwok:

Once again great video.  I love your music.  What awesome critters and photography.

Thanks for posting!

GLP

#271 howeikwok

howeikwok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:48 AM

Yup the 90mm macro lens. using FIT +10 wet lens and for the really close up ones is the Noodilab Moby wet lens.

Canon 50D/60mm macro/100mm macro/Tokina 10-17mm FE/Nexus Housing/Inon Z-240s

#272 Ammar

Ammar

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:21 AM

Last work at Red Sea...

The one and only, the Red Sea :)

Super amazing video. Lighting couldn't be better, just perfect. Well done.

#273 Ammar

Ammar

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:24 AM

Beautiful macro footage.

#274 Ammar

Ammar

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

Some footage cut together from this morning's dive on Kal's Dream in Alor, Indonesia. Shot on a Sony A7RII in fixed white balance (5200k) with a pair of lights. Manual exposure, no picture profile, autumn leaves creative style.

Arguably a bit too saturated.. but that can easily be dialed down in post.

Beautiful video. Love the exposure and the perfect blue background. I guess we are able to get rid of the purple background that initiated this post :) Well done. 

#275 Ammar

Ammar

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:34 AM

I have started to do "bite sized" films in going through my Raja footage.  Otherwise I would be overwhelmed.  I will make medium sized and large as well, but those take time and it takes much less time to edit a film on a specific subject.

I am giving people here the link of a film about a damselfish with a remarkable behavior.  It is  Dascyllus reticulatus.  It lives in branching coral, including spectacular specimens of table top coral.  Here, I think the species is Acropora pulchra, but I may be wrong about that one.  I filmed some Dascyllus in the Misool area in a couple of different locations.  

How many of you have seen this wonderful species?

Beautiful video and observation. I love watching the Dascyllus especially when they hide in the branching corals. They look funny.

#276 Pyroracer

Pyroracer

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:36 AM

Hey guys, just thought i'd get out of lurker mode and contribute here as well since i've been enjoying reading up on the discussions. I don't have a sony a7s but an a6500 here's a video I made from our latest trip from Sipadan, Malaysia last week.

Sipadan Movie (https://videopress.c...malink=0&loop=0)

It can also be accessed in briananddonna.com in case the link above doesn't work. I didn't get to use slog and having problems with manual white balance. I want to try using an atomos flame monitor and explore how to have a faster workflow for color grading since I just do this for fun. This is the second video I made with my new cam and editing with final cut. 

#277 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:33 AM

Hey guys, just thought i'd get out of lurker mode and contribute here as well since i've been enjoying reading up on the discussions. I don't have a sony a7s but an a6500 here's a video I made from our latest trip from Sipadan, Malaysia last week.

Sipadan Movie (https://videopress.c...malink=0&loop=0)

It can also be accessed in briananddonna.com in case the link above doesn't work. I didn't get to use slog and having problems with manual white balance. I want to try using an atomos flame monitor and explore how to have a faster workflow for color grading since I just do this for fun. This is the second video I made with my new cam and editing with final cut. 

Well done! Enjoyed it.

#278 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

Last work at Red Sea...

Lovely colors, really. This was shot with a Sony? Looks like canon colors to me, very jelous!

Dustin:

Wow this is incredibly helpful and I very much appreciate it.  I bought my a7s II because a filmmaker friend had switched over from Nikon to it and he was very enthusiastic.  He was touting the inboard 4K and low light capability.  I loved the mirrorless concept, and some of the lenses are fantastic.  So I made the investment to purchase it, and the housing, and that was a considerable investment for me. I I really did not know enough at the time to appreciate that using a superb camera UNDER THE OCEAN is a very specialized form of cinematography.  I never checked out the white balance issues and did not even think of it because I am a rookie, but who is still trying to learn as fast as possible.

Accordingly, I am going to do some tests on the next dive trip, which is in the Sea of Cortez in 3 weeks.  I am also going to document the tests.  Iwill do my best to do everything to manually white balance correctly, and will document it.   I will also experiment with different picture profiles.  It is possible that some of the issues can be corrected in grading or color correction.  Thus, I will be testing the sLog2 and sLog3 picture profiles as these allow better color correction later.  

Then i will make a little film of the tests, including the location and experience.  Put it on the Internet.  See what more I can learn. 

I also bought the camera for filming above water.  I want to make films, that tell stories, and to feature certain ideas, as well as film underwater.  Most of the work of this camera, hopefully, will be of interviews of people.  

So thanks so much for this helpful information.  I will do the tests and then let you know how they come out. 

George Paul

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

#279 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

Lovely colors, really. This was shot with a Sony? Looks like canon colors to me, very jelous!

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Shot with A7R II + FE 16-36mm and FE 90mm.

The most important is to shoot in golden hours. One or two hours after sunrise and before sunset. Otherwise you wont get rich colours. If you don't shoot at this hours you will need to go deeper to get nice colours with your lights.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

#280 Pyroracer

Pyroracer

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Well done! Enjoyed it.

Thanks Lionfi2s. Anyone know how I can get the video to show just like the others? Or does it do that automatically when copying a link from Vimeo and Youtube?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: picture profile, white balance, sony, a7s II, grading, color correction, 4K, UHD