7 replies to this topic

#1 freediver87

freediver87

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:02 AM

Hi,

I have already researched for dozens of hours but I wasn't able to find a "solution" for my needs and budget.

I am currently using a Olympus Em10 II with a couple of lenses (Laowa 7.5mm, Lumix 20mm 1.7, Oly 45mm 1.8 and Lumix 12-32mm).

Initially I considered purchasing a  cheap housing for my Olympus but there are no more Meikon housings and those that have been available don't offer interchangeable domes. 
This led me to look into Ikelite housings but with a dome etc. I might end up spending 1800€ for a housing that probably does not support my beloved laowa and therefore requires me to buy a new WA lens. Furthermore, spending nearly 2k on Housing for a camera I might upgrade in 1 or 2 years doesn`t sound like a good solution. 
Now I have been looking into other cameras etc. and was considering to buy a A6300 or A6500 and the new sea frog salted line. However, as mentioned in the Title, I would like to shot photo and video with ambient light and from what I could find out, all Sonys have a really bad WB.

As far as I know, only Olympus and Canon offer a good WB underwater, correct?

What would you recommend me? 
Wide angle capability 
Ambient Light 
Photo and Video 
Budget: 2000€ + 1000€ (in case I switch systems and sell my 4/3 stuff)
I am open to buy used equipment

Thank you!!

#2 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:52 AM

Don't even use WB. Shoot RAW and WB in post-processing. Look for a used housing, preferably Nauticam. No point is a quality camera and lens but a crappy housing.

#3 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:59 AM

I use an A6300 in a SeaFrogs housing, no issues with WB on stills - just shoot RAW and fix in post. I don't have the first clue about editing video, but when I tested the underwater auto white balance mode, it seemed to work okay. As far as housing ergonomics go, the only thing I can fault it for is that the lens zoom gears require careful alignment to work properly - otherwise, no complaints.

For the reference, a couple samples - this was shot using ambient light at fairly shallow depth, maybe 10-12m:

XaWhiRZ.jpg

This was at 31m:

ky84QW9.jpg

Both used A6300 with kit 16-50mm zoom behind a flat port.

Edited by Barmaglot, 04 October 2018 - 01:42 AM.

#4 freediver87

freediver87

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

I am looking for weeks now but I can't find a used housing for my EM10 ii, So will have to buy a new one which is roughly the same price as a a6300+seafrog salted + 10-18mm ... 

#5 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:34 PM

one here that doesn't appear sold and price is dropping......

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=62730

#6 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

Have a look into designing and 3d printing a focus ring for the Laowa. You will probably have to set to a fixed aperture, because the ports that would most likely work with this lens will probably not allow for two gears (apart from the fact that designing to gears yourself might be quite tricky). Manual Aperture/manual focus lenses are a bit tricky underwater and no manufacturer supports them natively, but as long as you find a dome with the right dimensions you should be good. Most likely this would be the ZEN DP170 because most of the Nauticam Domes have a built in extension and the Laowa is very short. Generally, the lenses you own don't seem to be ones best suited for underwater use.

#7 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:48 AM

Have a look into designing and 3d printing a focus ring for the Laowa. You will probably have to set to a fixed aperture, because the ports that would most likely work with this lens will probably not allow for two gears (apart from the fact that designing to gears yourself might be quite tricky). Manual Aperture/manual focus lenses are a bit tricky underwater and no manufacturer supports them natively, but as long as you find a dome with the right dimensions you should be good. Most likely this would be the ZEN DP170 because most of the Nauticam Domes have a built in extension and the Laowa is very short. Generally, the lenses you own don't seem to be ones best suited for underwater use.

I did this with a 7Artisans 7.5mm fisheye, except instead of designing and printing a gear, I just padded the focus ring with a few layers of double-sided tape until the zoom gear for 16-50mm lens was a snug fit. Only had a chance to dive with it once so far, but it seemed to work fairly well behind a 4" dome. Set aperture to f/8 before sealing the housing and focus wasn't too difficult with focus peaking enabled. I did get some vignetting in the corners, but a bit of defishing in Capture One got rid of those. Laowa 7.5mm would be much more difficult though; being rectilinear it requires much more precise focusing than a fisheye, and of course it needs a bigger dome.

#8 freediver87

freediver87

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:06 AM

one here that doesn't appear sold and price is dropping......

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=62730

Thank you!

It's still available and now I narrowed my choices to sticking with the Olympus and selling my Laowa in exchange for one of the 7-14mm zooms or switching to a a6300 + Ikelite housing as well. 
Which one of these camera are better for ambient light shooting? Em10ii or A6300? Is there much of a difference?

Thank you!