• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hiloboy

hiloboy

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

I shoot with a Canon 7D in a Nauticam housing. On my last trip, after about an hour of shooting approximately 200 shots without a problem, my camera slowed to a crawl and after each shot, I would need to wait about 4 seconds before I could take the next shot. During the wait, a "busy" message showed on the LCD screen. I was not shooting video and had my internal flash power lowered to 1/128. I was using a Lexar 16GB Platinum II 200X card. During this time, I checked the battery level which was at 75%. On the boat ride back, I turned the camera back on and could take shots without delay.

Any ideas what caused the delay between shots?

Thanks

#2 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

I shoot with a Canon 7D in a Nauticam housing. On my last trip, after about an hour of shooting approximately 200 shots without a problem, my camera slowed to a crawl and after each shot, I would need to wait about 4 seconds before I could take the next shot. During the wait, a "busy" message showed on the LCD screen. I was not shooting video and had my internal flash power lowered to 1/128. I was using a Lexar 16GB Platinum II 200X card. During this time, I checked the battery level which was at 75%. On the boat ride back, I turned the camera back on and could take shots without delay.

Any ideas what caused the delay between shots?

Thanks

I've read that one of the causes (if I understood it right) of this can be the Internal Flash controller waiting for the lamp to cool, or to ensure the lamp doesn't overheat. If you were shooting in burst mode this is one of those scenarios where it would heat up, I don't know how much at that low a power setting though. And might explain why it fired up no problem after being off for a little bit.

If not using burst maybe there is a firmware bug?

Steve

#3 hiloboy

hiloboy

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

I've read that one of the causes (if I understood it right) of this can be the Internal Flash controller waiting for the lamp to cool, or to ensure the lamp doesn't overheat. If you were shooting in burst mode this is one of those scenarios where it would heat up, I don't know how much at that low a power setting though. And might explain why it fired up no problem after being off for a little bit.

If not using burst maybe there is a firmware bug?

Steve

Thanks Steve for the reply but I was not shooting in burst mode and even when the camera was firing without a problem, I was not shooting that quickly between shots.

#4 marc1990

marc1990

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Diving, computer, photography and elektronics

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

I have same issues with 7D.
I Belive it has to do with firmware and card. When large card(16GB 200X) I have it happend more then my small fast card(8GB 400x). And most of the time in video.
I fixed it by turning the camera off and on.

Canon 7D, ikelite house,2x ds161 strobe,tokine 10-17mm, sigma 18-50 2.8 macro en canon 100mm 2.8 USM, flickr

#5 Robinson Photos

Robinson Photos

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

I also got this Busy error message when trying to shoot. I was shooting rapidly with either my internal flash or my PocketWizard. I don't remember which. Later, at another shoot, the whole camera locked up with just an "Error" message. I removed the battery (which is a generic no-name battery) and put in an official Canon battery. I haven't had any problems since. I too have a large 32GB 600x CF card.

#6 Sjshark

Sjshark

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

I had this problem once when I switched from photo to video, then I switched back and the problem was gone

#7 marc1990

marc1990

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Diving, computer, photography and elektronics

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

With the new firmware of 7D(version 2). I haven't had any problems anymore.

Canon 7D, ikelite house,2x ds161 strobe,tokine 10-17mm, sigma 18-50 2.8 macro en canon 100mm 2.8 USM, flickr

#8 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1571 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

We had the same issue (even at 1/128 power). Changing to the LED controller fixed the problem, I haven't tried the internal flash after upgrading the firmware.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#9 Bent C

Bent C

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

What LED-controller are you using, Bill?

/Bent
Bent Christensen
Nauticam and Canon 7D
http://bentmedia.me

#10 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1571 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

The one from Hedwig. Works fine with Inon and the D1 strobe, not so much for the 110a or the ys01.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#11 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?  I had this happen to me for the first time on a dive today.  I have used this camera with my setup (2 Inon strobes, fiber optic cable and pop-up flash) for 2 years without ever seeing this problem.  I have been on many dives when I am shooting much faster than I shot today.  On my dive today, I was barely squeezing out 3 shots every 10-15 seconds.  I also have the v2 firmware upgrade installed so that's not the issue.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch