Photo

Newbie Must Read: What new system did you just buy?

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#181 Emarcomd

Emarcomd

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:16 PM

HELP!  HELP!  HELP!

I have to post here because all the subforms say "You cannot start a new topic."

Anyway, I just bought a used Subal for my Canon 7D (Mark I).   And I cannot, cannot, cannot get the camera to turn on once I get the housing on.

I'm desperate because the guy who sold it to me, who has been very helpful, is now on a trip where he has no WiFi, and I am going on a trip for which I really want to use this camera.

The easiest way for me to explain what's going on is with a video showing folks what I'm doing.  It's about one minute long.

https://youtu.be/w4EcB3xF3a4

Man, I'm having a heart attack.

#182 Griff

Griff

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer,

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

Turn the camera on before you put it in the housing and set the camera to Sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity. To wake it up all you have to do is press the shutter. I used to have a Canon 700D in a Nauticam 600D housing and had to use this as the on off switch was different on the camera.

#183 Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Hello everybody from Milan, Italy this is my first post

I have Go Pro 6, Andoer light, Backscatter 3.1 flip red filters, I installed Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 21 trial version and I am considering to purchase it

#184 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:03 AM

Welxome Sbiriguda.  Milan is a wonderful city.  I have visited there several times, and really love the area.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#185 Kingpin

Kingpin

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

Hello,
Newbie question. Help needed on how to post new thread. Thanks in advance

Question 2

Which camera should I buy for the beginning underwater photography?

I'm really interested in shooting photos underwater. Since I'm living in Hawaii and just got into a new internship, I decide to buy a camera for underwater photography.

I want to focus on shooting Macro, sharks, freediving, and scuba diving shooting.

I have been debating between A6000 and Nikon D7200.

For what I read from different articles, A6000 don't have many differences in photo shooting compared to a6300. Buying a6000 can save me a lot of money. Also, it's much smaller than dslr camera which might be better choice for freediving shooting.

Nikon D7200 is my first choice, but I get scared after reading so many reviews about people dislike to carry dslr camera because of the weights and sizes. and i have no experience of using a dslr before.

I'm open to all suggestions and wish to get a camera for the best value.

#186 Kingpin

Kingpin

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:07 PM

Hi folks,

Newbie question. Help needed on how to post new thread. Thanks in advance!

Question 2

Which camera should I buy for the beginning underwater photography?

I'm really interested in shooting photos underwater. Since I'm on vacation in Hawaii  and just got into a new internship, I decide to buy a camera for underwater photography.

I want to focus on shooting Macro, sharks, freediving, and scuba diving shooting.

I have been debating between A6000 and Nikon D7200.

For what I read from different articles, A6000 don't have many differences in photo shooting compared to a6300. Buying a6000 can save me a lot of money. Also, it's much smaller than dslr camera which might be better choice for freediving shooting.

Nikon D7200 is my first choice, but I get scared after reading so many reviews about people dislike to carry dslr camera because of the weights and sizes. and i have no experience of using a dslr before.

I'm open to all suggestions and wish to get a camera for the best value.

#187 Scubaddict_UWP

Scubaddict_UWP

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:35 PM

Hi There!

My name is Jonatan, SCUBA diving instructor and UW photography enthusiast! 

My first Photography gear was a Canon S95 and loved the macro capabilities at the moment but suffered with Wide angle. That first gear went to be an artificial reef on Jellyfish lake, Palau as I dropped it in the deepest point of the lake and never fount, attached to my Sunnto Vyper dive computer and many memories in it.

Passing by a GoPro and enjoying the video on perfect conditions it was never enough for photos, not even stacking diopters and filters... so as soon as I could afford a new gear, got myself a Sony RX100 with a bad housing, wich soon I realized the cheap turns out to be expensive...no! it didn't flood but I could not have access to all the buttons of the camera so I couldn't use it to its full potential so another bummer. The camera was incredible but the housing killed her.

I change job and with it a better salary came, then I could afford to buy a 2nd hand Nauticam with for forst time a proper strobe, no more torches and video lights for me... and Oh Boy! that was an amazing step up. Sony RX100 + Nauticam housing, Inon wet lenses, for macro and wide angle and 2 Sea&Sea YS D1... I was on top of the world, firing away everything that crossed my path!

After a while I found the macro limitation and decided to go for a DSLR gear, the 100mm macro turned me on at first try...

Since then I have been using a Canon 7D+Nauticam+2 Sea&Sea YS D1+ other toys, diopters Subsee, Retra Snoot, video/focus light...

The last improvement was to get the Bulkhead for electrical cords to fire the strobes and that too has been a game changer on occasions, although I always carry the fiber optic cables for quick on and off strobes days, like shooting student while diving on a packed boat full of divers.

That has been my UWP love story so far... now looking into a 2nd gear as it seems the students for my Photo courses are multiplying heheheh and of course because who doesn't love new toys?

Safe bubbles, flat seas and crystal clear water!

#188 RP_Diver84

RP_Diver84

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here, just bought a Olympus TG-5 + PT-058 + BigBlue VL6000p

"A lot of people attack the sea, I make love to it." Jacques Yves Cousteau 

#189 cjorca

cjorca

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Diving/Freediving, hiking, photography

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:34 PM

Hello from British Columbia !

Been diving for over 20 yrs. Last real u/w Camera was an old Film Nikons V !
Have a GoPro - but it’s mainly used for taking video while Freediving.
Had a Canon sure-shot in a cheap housing for a few months - but was really old

So- basically a newbie here.

Have been drooling all over several dive buddy’s camera systems & I finally pulled the trigger on one

Canon Rebel T6i with Sea & Sea RDX Housing & 2 Sea & Sea YS-02 strobes (& of course plate/arms etc)

I’ve done some macro with some success & have just started to try my hand at Wide Angle.

I do have a question .... on the back of the strobes, there is settings for manual & TTL
If anyone is familiar with these, can you tell me if the numeral setting on manual, are to match the f-Stop you set the camera on ? Or something different
Also - what situations would you want to have strobes on TTL or manual?

Thanks in advance

#190 memecs

memecs

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:00 PM

I got an RX100 VA with a FantaSea housing, a UWL-09 and a Sea & Sea YS-03 strobe. But I feel like I should have gone the a6500. Too much noise in my images.

Edited by memecs, 04 December 2018 - 09:01 PM.

#191 Alex87

Alex87

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:41 AM

Hi guys, Im new here. Originally from Canada but living in Maldives at the moment. I usually go diving almost every week and am using a Canon powershot SX710HS with an Ikelite housing at the moment.

I also own a Fuji X-t20 and am looking at buying a Meikon housing for it. Does anyone here have any experience with their housings?

Thanks

#192 Delpeoples

Delpeoples

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

Hi all, Im new here and glad to be here. Ive an old Omymous TG4, Housing and strobe for underwater but am giving serious thought to taking my Canon 5Diii under. So looking for advice on that. Cheers, Lisa

#193 RAREPROPHERCHY

RAREPROPHERCHY

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:25 PM

I'm currently using the Sony A7RIII with nauticam housing and dual z240 type4