• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 H2OBubbles

H2OBubbles

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

I recently purchased a used Aquatica housing for the Canon 20D that had the Henrich eTTL converter installed. When I attempt to use the Ikelite strobe in TTL mode, I end up with pictures that are completely underexposed. The strobe appears to be working fine when set in manual mode.

In all of the reading I have been able to find, it seems that Heinrich is saying that it is a problem with only getting the preflash fromt the strobe - and must be attributed to the cable.

The TTL line of your strobe is not properly connected to the converter. What you see is the preflash. Due to the fact that the flash does a full dump (no TTL signal) the strobe is not ready for the mainflash a few milliseconds afterwards. The results are a black picture. Check continuity of all cables and make sure you have good contacts. The actual timing of the flash is not influenced from our converters at all!

Setup:

Canon 20D
Aquatica 20D Housing (with dual Nikonos style connectors)
Heinrich eTTL converter
Ikelite DS-160 strobe
Iklelite 4104.62 synch cord

Thanks in advance.

Edited by H2OBubbles, 05 April 2009 - 06:45 PM.

#2 stever

stever

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

i have just gone thru a long exercise getting my H&W to work with the 20D. problem is a tiny switch under the leaf spring on the left hand side of the hot shoe. this switch needs to be pushed down to enable the TTL to work (i don't know what Canon's purpose is with this switch - it does not seem to be present on later model cameras which don't have the problem). the slide-in conncector used with the 6-pin conversion doesn't push the switch down reliably (if you push down on the left hand side of the connector with your finger the TTL will work)

i tried using a shim between the connector and top of the hot shoe, but this wasn't reliable. on a return trip to Reef, Shen identified the problem and slightly re-shaped the leaf spring which appears to solve the problem. i re-shaped the spring on my backup body using a pair of jeweler's screwdrivers and that body also works now. However, i'm going to avoid using a Canon flash with these bodies as i think it may flatten the spring so the housing connector won't work.

in short, my recommendation is to send your body to Reef as i now think they're aware of this issue with the 20D, they shouldn't need the housing but may want it just to make sure