• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Last year I upgraded my Nikon D90 with a D810.  Going to the FX I researched my existing 10-17 Tokina and saw that it was possible to make it theoretically a FX by removing the hood.  I did so, and on land it's great at 15mm and up.  Underwater however I have an issue with flash artifacts inside my dome.  My question is...are the artifacts caused by my removal of the hood on my lens?  Or a housing fiber optic issue?  I'm using a Aquatica housing with the dual FO bulkheads.   If it's the Hood, easy fix, I'll just have the hood re-installed.  I'll attach a pic.  in it you can see the bars of reflected light both on the left and right.  Also the upper sporadic reflection of light ringing the frame.  Thanks for any help in advance!

Greg

Attached Images

• cenote2-0938.jpg

Edited by sideways, 14 March 2018 - 09:15 AM.

Nikon D810, Aquatica housing, Sea&Sea strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 105mm, 
Lumix GH5, Nauticam GH5 housing, 2x Sola 1200 lights.

My Flickr page.......https://www.flickr.c...s/29875870@N02/

Vimeo page.......https://vimeo.com/131607598

#2 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

Hi,
would say that is light from the flash.
Can you try to encapsulate the lens / port room from the camera space?
A piece of black velvet that hangs down around the lens should help.
Maybe closed with a rubber ring...
And avoid the front of the lens reflection as well.

Regards,
Wolfgang

PS: which cenote was that?

#3 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

Hi Wolfgang!  That is Dos Ojos Cenote.  Yeah, it's the flash for sure, I'm just curious if I created the issue with the removal of the lens hood?  Or if it is a housing issue.  If housing, I think I will have to find a way to shroud the flash so light doesn't migrate out into the dome and is only captured in the Fiber Optic bulkheads.

Nikon D810, Aquatica housing, Sea&Sea strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 105mm, 
Lumix GH5, Nauticam GH5 housing, 2x Sola 1200 lights.

My Flickr page.......https://www.flickr.c...s/29875870@N02/

Vimeo page.......https://vimeo.com/131607598

#4 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

Hi,
Dos ochos...
Great place ;-))

Not sure if only the sun shade will keep the light of the strobe out...
If you can place some black velvet as a curtain, that will help a lot.

Other posssibility could be a led trigger. But that will bring other "troubles"...

Regards,
Wolfgang

#5 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:31 AM

Hi sideways,

I cannot help with the artefacts, but you say you deinstalled the hood and you are able to reinstall it. I have a Tokina 10-17mm with hood here and would like to deinstall (without abrasing the hood).

Can you tell me where I can find instructions how to deinstall the hood without destroying it?

Thanks, Wolfgang

#6 janvkem

janvkem

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:48 AM

For the ringing artefact: I had the same issue with my Tokina 10-17. This is not caused by strobes, it is reflection of light that enters via you dome, falls onto the metal ring outside of the front element of your lens and is reflected back into your dome. You will notice that all pictures that show this effect have light from the front. The cap of the Tokina 10-17 scratches that metal, making it reflective instead of black. You can try to color it with a black marker or do as I did and add some material on top of that ring to stop the light from reflecting.

#7 Grantjpthomas

Grantjpthomas

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, Free diving, Travelling, Conservation and Capturing it all on camera!

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:10 AM

I often get this with my Tokina Lens. I cut the shade off which exposes the silver reflective metal so i just coloured it black with a permanent marker. This helped however, i do still get reflections if i shoot into the sun or if my strobes are too far forward i.e in front of my handles. Covering the end of the lens with non reflective material would certainly help. 

Grant Thomas

(PADI instructor on Tioman Island, Malaysia)

Personal webpage www.facebook.com/GrantThomasPhotos

#8 pbalves

pbalves

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

Hi Greg

Light inside the dome creates strange reflections.

If you use the internal flash to trigger the strobes on FO ports, you should use the 18472 Neoprene Light Blocking Mask
http://aquatica.ca/e...ories_misc.html
Besides that, as has been suggested, painting with black mate the silver area resulting from the cut of the shades, and any with lettering, will help.

BR

Pedro Alves

#9 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:54 PM

hi Greg,

this happened to me with various fisheye/wide angle lenses and various acrylic domes

however i haven't faced the problem since i moved to a crystal Zen dome (i use the 100mm version on the same Tokina lens as you).

I've been told the Zen dome has some anti-reflective coating, so looks like it works