#1 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:41 AM

Hi all!

Here are three new pictures from my D100 shot over Memorial weekend on a 3-day to the Channel Islands in California. This was only my second time using the housing, and I am getting to love what can be accomplished, and also learn to live with features that is inferior to my old film system.

In the wide angle shot below, I totally had to trust the focus lock because with such a wide lens (12-24DX) and a smaller view finder than on my Subal, you can't tell what part of the picture is really in focus. You must take advantage of the multiple focus point options on the D100 to get a warm fuzzy on what the camera is most likely focusing on. For example, on the vertical wide angle shot below, I set the focus point on the lower vertical portion of the screen, ensuring that my camera was focusing on the sea fans, and not something else.

I also miss the flip tray from my subal. Shooting vertical is a little more challenging when you are in strong surge or current. I liked being able to flip the camera and use one hand to operate the housing, and hang on to a rock with the other. You can still use the one-handed startegy with the Titan housing but it is a little less convenient.

The garibaldi and octopus shots were taken with a 105mm lens and two Ike DS50's with diffusers. The diffusers help to GREATLY reduce backscatter because you don't actually have to point the strobes on the subject, you can simply point them a little outward and the nice wide beam angle will cover the animal. Takes a little getting used to so you can still use decent F-stops and/or shutter speeds.

Enjoy!

Joe Belanger

#2 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:20 AM

Excellent work! Very nice. Another film guy bites the dust.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#3 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2128 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:01 PM

Great job! Love the last two.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro