• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1st8Eer Reefer

1st8Eer Reefer

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

I am in search of some guidance on strobes. I currently have a Canon Powershot A95 with a Canon WP-DC50 housing. I would like to get a functional strobe that I can use for a couple years before upgrading my entire system. Any suggestions?

I generally dive in shallow reefs up to 100' with the intention of taking various shots (e.g. fish, corals, and buddies). I am a novice and would like the strobe to be easy to use.

Thanks!

Edited by 1st8Eer Reefer, 23 August 2009 - 06:05 AM.

#2 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:01 AM

I am in search of some guidance on strobes. I currently have a Canon Powershot A95 with a Canon WP-DC50 housing. I would like to get a functional strobe that I can use for a couple years before upgrading my entire system. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest looking at the Inon S-2000, but here's a guide that should help you ...

http://www.digitaldi...net/strobes.php
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#3 1st8Eer Reefer

1st8Eer Reefer

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:53 AM

I'd suggest looking at the Inon S-2000, but here's a guide that should help you ...

http://www.digitaldi...net/strobes.php

thank you for the information. In comparing the Inon S-2000, it appears like a good choice. Are there certain digital tray adapters that you would suggest as well?

It appears that the Inon products have stopped their US affiliation and are selling direct from Japan. Are there any issues with that?

#4 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

It appears that the Inon products have stopped their US affiliation and are selling direct from Japan. Are there any issues with that?

Many on this site, including me, have purchased Inon products from Japan with good results.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#5 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:11 AM

thank you for the information. In comparing the Inon S-2000, it appears like a good choice. Are there certain digital tray adapters that you would suggest as well?

I'd suggest you contact Reef Photo for the answer to your question about the tray adapters. Many Wetpixel folks (including myself) deal with Reef Photo on a regular basis. They are great to do business with and really take care of their customers.

There were some discussions here on Wetpixel about Inon's decision to stop their US affiliation (Inon America). But you can get the strobe at Reef Photo. Here's the link.

Reef Photo

Hope that helps,

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#6 01sugar2

01sugar2

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:- Cycling (Mountain Bike and Road)<br />- Photography<br />- Scuba Diving<br />- Soccer

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

I know that this is an old thread now, but I stopped by Reef Photo on Tuesday of this week and picked up a new Inon Z240 strobe. Richard was extremely helpful! The strobe I purchased was the newer Type 4 model, and everything will be covered under warranty through Reef Photo. I second the motion that Ellen made to give these people a call when you need some assistance, especially with questions in regard to Inon. ;) Thanks, Reef!

Dustin

#7 renep

renep

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

A95! I started with that camera and loved it. Obviously I would not suggest buying a 600$ strobe for that camera. I've seen Bonica slave strobes for 150$ that would probably work.

That said, I'd stick to ambient light and get a g11 later but that's just me ;-)
Rene Potvin

BTW I am presently going from Miami to Montreal on a kayak, you can follow me on my blog at http://miami2montreal.wordpress.com/
Do subscribe, I need the numbers for my sponsors, thanks!

www.renepotvin.com