pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

Looks like it's available in Japan now

http://seatool.net/list/40d.htm

Posted Image

pdf file on the housing available as well but it's all in Japanese.

just some highlights.

list price:JPY 268.000

2 fiber optic ports standard (2 Nikonos bulkhead optional)

Access to all 40D buttons [correction: no access to the joystick or the AF-On button]

Rated to 60m

Focus/zoom dial on body

(internal strobe lever - to mechanically close the 40d internal strobe)

Port lock

In addition to a coldshoe on top, there are two slots for ball joints on top of the housing accesories/ arms.

available in Black or Silver

dimensons: W210mmXD123mmXH164mm

Weight: 1.7kg

one more thing: looks like it has a button for popping the lens off without having to remove the camera body.

Edited by pakman, 08 January 2008 - 11:20 AM.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

I've been diving a housing for a few weeks. We are awaiting a few more finishing touches before offering this in the US, but I expect it will be ready in a week or two.

You are correct, AF-ON isn't offered. This is mitigated by the ability to switch the function of the AF-ON and Star Buttons in the custom menu, and the banks of custom settings to automate this.

I dived the setup in Bonaire w/ 5" arms mounted to each of these base adapters, and a focus light in the cold shoe. This was actually a really sweet setup for macro shooting, and was very light in the water. Somewhat reminiscent of the midsize digicams of years past.

Ports are a work in progress. They'll be delrin to save weight, and initially a dome, 60mm Macro Port, and 100mm Macro port are available, with more accessories on the way. Port converters are also available for Subal, Sea & Sea, Nexus, and Inon. Aquatica is being done as well, but isn't finished yet.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#3 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

I've been diving a housing for a few weeks. We are awaiting a few more finishing touches before offering this in the US, but I expect it will be ready in a week or two.

You are correct, AF-ON isn't offered. This is mitigated by the ability to switch the function of the AF-ON and Star Buttons in the custom menu, and the banks of custom settings to automate this.

I dived the setup in Bonaire w/ 5" arms mounted to each of these base adapters, and a focus light in the cold shoe. This was actually a really sweet setup for macro shooting, and was very light in the water. Somewhat reminiscent of the midsize digicams of years past.

Ports are a work in progress. They'll be delrin to save weight, and initially a dome, 60mm Macro Port, and 100mm Macro port are available, with more accessories on the way. Port converters are also available for Subal, Sea & Sea, Nexus, and Inon. Aquatica is being done as well, but isn't finished yet.

Considering that I ordered a 40D this morning, this is exciting news. Have they gotten it down below 12 pounds yet? :D Just sent you a note via the webform on your site . . .

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#4 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Ah Ryan I suspected you would be the first to respond :D

Do you know how many extra mm the S&S port adapter adds? At the moment, I'm still leaning towards the S&S 40D housing and I still have a good investment in S&S ports and optical dome.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

Way to go Mike - you bought a new camera!!!! Is your 10D sitting on the shelf pouting yet :-)

The housing looks smashing - great news. I'm glad Seatool is increasing their housing lineup to include the 40D

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#6 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

Way to go Mike - you bought a new camera!!!! Is your 10D sitting on the shelf pouting yet :-)

The housing looks smashing - great news. I'm glad Seatool is increasing their housing lineup to include the 40D

Cheers
James

The 10Ds aren't sure what to think. Part of me is thinking I should keep at least one and the housing just in case. I could probably get $300 a piece or so for them on eBay, but I fear the housing may be worth little or nothing. Hard to part with the 10Ds as they've been great cameras for several years. Yes, the Seatool housing does look nice. I had a chance to play briefly with Ryan's prototype in Bonaire and it was pretty cool, though it was a bit heavy and needed some ergonomic work, as Ryan alluded to in his post. Hopefully he's set them straight and there will be a "real" housing soon. I think Ryan is in a rush to get the 40D one final so he can move on to getting them started on housing his D300! The S&S housing is also an option, though I like the fact that the Seatool is built with fiber optic strobe connections in mind.

Still need to get the final word on how much the S&S port adapter adds to the overall length. I think that when I was in the shop in November, Ryan said it wasn't as much as he first thought . . .

Mike

Mike Oelrich

#7 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

Interesting comment on the weight. 12lbs? Is that total with camera and ports?

Here's a quick comparison of weight and dimensions between the Seatool and S&S 40D based on specs released on their Japanese websites.

Weight
S&S's 40D is listed as 2.7kg on land (housing only)
Seatool 40D is 1.7kg... [edit: this is weight in water w camera body, 18-55 lens, and port]

Dimensions
S&S W317mmxD137mmxH168mm
Seatool W210mmXD123mmXH164mm
Pretty close, S&S is just a tad bit wider and deeper.

If the actual weight isn't that much different, I'm going to have a tough time making a decision. Unless the Seatool S&S port adapter throws off my dome port positions too much.

Edited by pakman, 08 January 2008 - 09:08 PM.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#8 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:40 AM

Interesting comment on the weight. 12lbs? Is that total with camera and ports?

Sorry, that was one of my (typically) lame attempts at humour. It did seem heavy to me when I handled it but I really have no way of verifying the actual weight. And it did have the camera in it and a flat port on it. Ryan said they still hadn't worked the wall thicknesses down to their final values yet so I would expect the final version to be somewhat lighter than the prototype.

Mike

Mike Oelrich

#9 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:56 AM

ahahaha... you had me worried there Mike!

Well the 40D is got some good heft to it by itself so i can imagine these housing being pretty negative. Kind of like some of the D200 owners complaints with some alu housings.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#10 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:00 AM

Mike,

Stu's friend Bill Reed makes a 10D to 5D conversion kit that works very well (it's made for Subal). Don't know if it will work for Sea and Sea but don't sell your housing w/o talking with him eh?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#11 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

Well looks like Yuzo has the S&S 40D housings in stock already in Japan...

Tough decision. Would be interesting to try the Seatool, but I think I'm leaning towards going back to S&S housing.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#12 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:00 AM

The port converter on the XTi housing moved the Sea & Sea NX Mount about 4mm forward. The goal on this housing was to place it in exactly the same spot, but we haven't seen one to confirm yet.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#13 Yoko Qno

Yoko Qno

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

According to Fisheye, Seatool's housing C40D has four viewfinder options:Besides Standard Viewfinder, optional Pick-up Finder, INON Straight Viewfinder and INON 45 degree angled viewfinders also available :D
http://www.fisheye-j...c40d/index.html

Attached Images

• 40d_03.jpg

Canon 5D,350D Sea&Sea DX-5D,DX-350D,Canon580EX(Nautilus Housing),YS-110,YS-90,D-2000 My blog

#14 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

Looks like Backscatter will install the viewfinders on the Sea & Sea if you want to go that way. The S&S site has the manual for the 40d housing up on line if you want to take a look at some details. (Service area) First S&S housings have started to hit the US this week.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#15 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:24 AM

Looks like Backscatter will install the viewfinders on the Sea & Sea if you want to go that way. The S&S site has the manual for the 40d housing up on line if you want to take a look at some details. (Service area) First S&S housings have started to hit the US this week.

Steve

got a link Steve on that 40D manual. I can't seem to find it either the US or Japan S&S site.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#16 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

got a link Steve on that 40D manual. I can't seem to find it either the US or Japan S&S site.

Try this Link to S&S

It's under Maintenance& Service, then User manuals

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#17 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:08 PM

thanks Steve... I was little brain dead after 8 nonstop hrs of O2 admin and CPR training and didn't see the menu bar up top.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#18 Yoko Qno

Yoko Qno

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:30 AM

I went to shop "umino-shiyashinya-san" to see Seatool C40D housing last week. Seatool C40D housing is very compact housing ;) ...How much smaller the Seatool 400 XTI housing is compared to C40D housing :) !

Attached Images

• IMG_5449.jpg
  • IMG_5451.jpg
  • IMG_5461.jpg

Edited by Yoko Qno, 27 February 2008 - 06:32 AM.

Canon 5D,350D Sea&Sea DX-5D,DX-350D,Canon580EX(Nautilus Housing),YS-110,YS-90,D-2000 My blog

#19 Maarten_NL

Maarten_NL

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

I visited BOOT (www.boot.de) today and visited Hugyfot, Subal, Ikelite, Sealux (no 40D50/D housing) and Sea&Sea. After fitting, testing ergonomy and size the game was between Sea&Sea and Seatool... since I already have a YS27DX flash (fiber connection only, no cash for a TTL flash at the moment) and the shop owner gave me a pretty good deal I went for the Seatool 40D housing with flatport ;)

The price difference between the 40D and 50D housing was enough to add a 45 degree Inon Viewfinder ;)

The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 also fits behind the port for the 60mm macro.. So util I have a decent wide-angle/FE with dome I can use the Tamron at 17mm.

Attached Images

• IMG_3687.JPG
  • IMG_3696.JPG
  • IMG_3698a.JPG

UW Setup: Canon EOS 50D / 60mm Macro f2.8 / Tamron 17-50 f2.8 / Sea&Sea YS27DX / Seatool housing