2 replies to this topic

#1 jwmm2

jwmm2

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:45 AM

Hi All

My Panasonic/Nauticam GX1 setup has served me well but is due an upgrade. I'm looking at the GX85 and liking the look of it's compact form. The only significant downside I can see is the slow flash sync speed. Is anyone using this camera primarily for stills and finding the sync speed a problem? I think if you used a flash trigger rather than the inbuilt flash then you should be able to bump speed up a notch (probably 1/250th) but that nauticam housing is really small, not sure it would fit. Has anyone tried this?

Cheers

Joe

#2 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

I've started a project to retrofit one of the "small batch" triggers from this site but have yet to finish it. You are right that the housing and space above the camera is tight. You would have to remove the assembly to open the camera flash, which of course wouldn't be an issue as you wouldn't be using it. I'll try to do some measurements to give you an idea of what might fit. I've left mine on 1/125 for pics with strobes, which I only shoot about 5% of the time. I haven't had any motion blur that I could see, but obviously lose some flexibility on aperture and ISO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#3 jwmm2

jwmm2

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking, I reckon one of these custom triggers (http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=44632) could be adapted to fit in the gap. Which assembly do you think would have to be removed? Some measurements would be hugely appreciated!

On my GX1 I've been shooting at 1/160 which is fine 90% of the time but for sunbursts and dark backgrounds for macro shots, I'd like to go just one or two shutter speeds higher.