• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ncr

ncr

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:46 PM

Hello, I am looking into getting into underwater photography. Been doing a lot of research in setting up a rig, decided to go with the RX 100 V for a starter camera. I didn't want to take my D500 underwater without the higher priced housing, and the RX seems more versatile.

My main question is about the strobe feature on the Kraken Hydra 3500S+. I was hoping to get some comparison to a strobe like the YS-D2J. I'd imagine the Kraken wouldn't have nearly the features as the YS-D2J but wasn't sure of the differences since I can't find much out about the strobe feature for the kraken. I'd like to get some high quality photos so I would like some good strobes, but figured if I could get a dual purpose light for video or strobe that would be a cheaper starting option. But I'd like to know how well that flash works before I go for that setup. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kraken Hydra 3500S+ WSRU

#2 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:26 PM

The strobe feature on that light is useful for two purposes:

1. Not scaring away mobile subject with a constant bright beam

2. Syncing cellphones without a mechanical shutter

As far as power goes, it does not, in any way, shape or form, compare to a xenon flash. See this thread for power comparison between a 14K lumen light and YS-D2: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=63437

Add two more stops of light difference between 3500lm and 14000lm light, and you arrive at 7-8 stops of difference - between 500 and 1000 times the power level.

• ncr likes this

#3 ncr

ncr

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Thought that was probably the case, probably stick with dual strobes and go with a video light that can double as a focus light. That was a useful link, thanks! 

#4 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

If you want a combination strobe and video light, there is the i-Torch Symbiosis series. The earlier models were basically a strobe and a light clipped together, but SS-3 is a fully integrated unit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kraken Hydra, Strobe, 3500S+, WSRU, Video Light