• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

Looks like a really excellent camera - may be the new preferred compact for underwater use:

http://www.dpreview....jifilmf50fd.asp

Has full manual control, excellent image quality, CCD stabilization, large LCD, and takes SD media cards.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:29 AM

Looks like a really excellent camera - may be the new preferred compact for underwater use:

http://www.dpreview....jifilmf50fd.asp

Has full manual control, excellent image quality, CCD stabilization, large LCD, and takes SD media cards.

Cheers
James

Are you sure it has full manual control. The F30/F31 have what they call a manual mode, but it's not full manual. They also have aperture or shutter priority, but you can't set both. From what I see, this one has the same modes.

Edited by chris_l, 27 July 2007 - 08:29 AM.

#3 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:47 AM

Are you sure it has full manual control. The F30/F31 have what they call a manual mode, but it's not full manual. They also have aperture or shutter priority, but you can't set both. From what I see, this one has the same modes.

Well, nobody can be sure until it's actually released, but the press release says this:

"Full Manual Photographic Control: Gives the user total control with manual adjustment options for settings on the camera (resolution, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc), and is desirable by the photo enthusiasts/advanced photographers."

That certainly sounds like full manual to me, but it doesn't elaborate. It'll be interesting to see. Nice looking camera, the LCD is quite large.

JP

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#4 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:16 AM

"Full Manual Photographic Control: Gives the user total control with manual adjustment options for settings on the camera (resolution, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc), and is desirable by the photo enthusiasts/advanced photographers."

I didn't see that statement, so maybe. However, the same can be said of the F30/F31. The problem is you can't set them independently.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

#5 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

I am not too excited. 12 megapixels in a small sensor? That's also going to produce larger files that will take longer to write. Another thing it should have is flash exosure compensation. The ability to dial up and down flash out put seems like it's missing.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

I think it may be "Fuji 12 Megapixels" meaning 6 megapixels.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#7 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 492 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

Interesting prospect... :D
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#8 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

"12 million effective pixels" Yes it appears interpolated.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#9 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

So it's really 6 - which is just about the sweet spot for compact cameras...
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#10 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

So it's really 6 - which is just about the sweet spot for compact cameras...

Okay, but can you make it shoot a true 6MP and skip that ^%$#@! interpolation. If I want to blow it up I do that in Photoshop.

I understand what Fuji wants to do with the interpolation (win the MP game) but for more serious photog this is just a joke.

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

It's not a joke - the photosites on the Fuji sensor are in a hexagonal close-packed layout. To get to and x and y photo, some interpolation must be done. The actual amount of lines per inch that the Fuji sensors can resolve is higher than a regular x and y type sensor, so nothing to complain about. The pix look great - whether you convert them in Photoshop, the Fuji software, or whatever.

I'd probably just set this camera at the highest output mode and leave it there.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#12 eatmor18

eatmor18

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

Why do you all think that this is an interpolated 12 megapixels? Everything I'm reading is leading me to think that there really are 12 million dots on the sensor. With past versions of their SuperCCD HR sensor, the number of detectors on the sensor was called "effective pixels," and the larger interpolated size was called "recorded pixels" and/or "output resolution." Fuji is now saying that the F50 has 12 million "effective pixels," and DPReview says it has 12 million "sensor photo detectors." Sounds very real to me.

So now each F50 pixel is half the surface area of those famous F30 pixels. My bet is that the noise will STILL be lower in an equivalent print. :D

#13 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

6 million S and 6 million R type pixels.
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#14 eatmor18

eatmor18

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

6 million S and 6 million R type pixels.

Yeah, except this is NOT a SuperCCD SR (Super dynamic Range), it's a SuperCCD HR (High Resolution). All of the HR pixels are the same size. The F30 had 6 million of them, the F50 has 12 million of them.

#15 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

Dang! Thanks Eat.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#16 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

Yeah, except this is NOT a SuperCCD SR (Super dynamic Range), it's a SuperCCD HR (High Resolution). All of the HR pixels are the same size. The F30 had 6 million of them, the F50 has 12 million of them.

So, does this mean that the sensor in the F50 is twice as big as the F30/F31?

#17 eatmor18

eatmor18

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:30 AM

All of the HR pixels are the same size. The F30 had 6 million of them, the F50 has 12 million of them.

I knew somebody would misunderstand this -- I should've gone back & edited it. On a particular sensor, all of the HR pixels are the same size, as opposed to SR pixels, where you have big & little pixels mixed together in the same camera. So, no, the F50's sensor is not larger than the F30's. They're the essentially same overall size, and thus, each F50 pixel is half the size of a F30 pixel.

#18 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

I knew somebody would misunderstand this -- I should've gone back & edited it. On a particular sensor, all of the HR pixels are the same size, as opposed to SR pixels, where you have big & little pixels mixed together in the same camera. So, no, the F50's sensor is not larger than the F30's. They're the essentially same overall size, and thus, each F50 pixel is half the size of a F30 pixel.

Bottom line is that Fuji joined in with the other manufacturers and decided that they would attract more customers by increasing the pixel count (and, no doubt, they will). Chances are that image quality will, in fact, suffer for it -- problem is that most people assume that more pictures means the camera is better. It's getting to the point where that is not true as often as the manufacturers would like buyers to believe.

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#19 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the F50's sensor would be twice as large. That's why I asked the question.
So what you are saying is that the F50 has a different type of sensor from the F30, is that correct?

#20 eatmor18

eatmor18

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:07 AM

That's correct, they're certainly not using the same sensor. The similarities are that they are essentially the same overall dimensions, and they are both using the SuperCCD HR pixel layout (though different "generations" as Fuji calls them).

Yet to be determined is which will hold more detail in those high-ISO shots. My money is on the F50, MikeO is betting on the F30. :D