Photo
- - - - -

Which Stobe to get to complement my DS-200??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scubarobot

scubarobot

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:45 PM

At last I have a DS200 :) I don't mind the extra wight. I have traveled with the SS200 and it wasn't that bad. My question is for a second strobe should I get a DS125. I'm thinking I want to get the DS125 for the lighting ratio to be a little different. I am new to the ttl option on my 5d housing. When using dual ikelite strobes in ttl mode is it possible to have one strobe fire with a lower power setting? Or will the ttl takeover and fire the strobes at the same power even though you may be using a ds200 and a ds125. For example if your ds200 is putting out 1/4 power would your ds125 fire at 1/2 power in ttl mode to compensate?

Any advice/example photos would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2364 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

Always recommended to get two of the same strobe. That way the color temperature and angle of coverage of the strobes are the same. You can always create ratioed lighting by varying the strobe power or strobe to subject distance. This is harder to do with different strobes because they have different beginning power, and usually different angle of coverage and color temperature.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:17 PM

If you're using TTL, then you can vary the ratio by using a diffuser on one, or using diffusers on both, but a stronger diffuser on one (cut milk-jug to make inserts).

I'd recommend getting another DS200 - they are awesome, not that much bigger, but not negative in water like the DS125

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 scubarobot

scubarobot

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:13 PM

Thanks guys. I'll save my pennies for a second DS-200. But I think I have a problem with either my ettl circuity
in the housing or the ttl circuity in the strobe. When I hook everything up everything seems fine. Power lights come on in the housing and the strobe will fire but I will get a black image. Then I will keep turning everything off and on and sometimes it will fire in sync with the shutter . It seems like the preflash is not working correctly. I have a 580ex and it has a pre-flash that I can see. Just wondering if on yours the pre-flash is obvious on your strobes. Also manual will sync everytime but when I switch the controller to ttl it won't always sync correctly. Am I doing something wrong or should I send to ikelite.

thanks

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hi Scubarobot,

I never use my DS200's in TTL so I'm not sure. It sounds like your strobes aren't syncing w/ the shutter.

You should contact Ikelite to see if you might have something hooked up wrong. It used to be that you had to have the "master" strobe on and connected w/ their dual sync cords in order for them to sync.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org