• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#181 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:46 AM

Yes, C-AF for those shots. For mantas and sharks, due to the low-contrast backgrounds, I used AFL. Tried to keep at f 5.6 or above. Honestly, I don't think there's any problem with AF on this cam - if you're trying to shoot a grey subject against a blue-grey background with loads of particles in the water then it will hunt, but that's obvious. Most of the time it was just fine. I really do wish that Nauticam would do a focus ring for the PZ 14-42 lens though, since zoom can already be controlled electronically ( I have one of the fn buttons assigned)

Matt 

Matt

Panasonic GH5 - Nauticam housing - single 50W Kowalski Maxum

https://vimeo.com/matdiverpalau

#182 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:01 AM

Yes, C-AF for those shots. For mantas and sharks, due to the low-contrast backgrounds, I used AFL. Tried to keep at f 5.6 or above. Honestly, I don't think there's any problem with AF on this cam - if you're trying to shoot a grey subject against a blue-grey background with loads of particles in the water then it will hunt, but that's obvious. Most of the time it was just fine. I really do wish that Nauticam would do a focus ring for the PZ 14-42 lens though, since zoom can already be controlled electronically ( I have one of the fn buttons assigned)

Matt 

Thanks for the shots Mat!

For this kind of shots what do you people think? Is it better to go with a higher frame rate and a 8 bit file or go for 30fps and 10bit?

Also if someone can help me understand how the AFL works on the GH5... Do you have to keep the button pushed in order for focus to stay lock or is it push on (lock) push off (unlock)?

I was thinking the same for the 14-42 PZ but Nauticam doesnt make one. Maybe if we were more than one asking for it? Its not that hard for them to make it.

#183 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:57 AM

"AFL hold" is buried in one of the menus somewhere. Switch it to "on" and you're good to go. Point at something a couple of metres away, e.g., press AFL once, and that's it. No need to re-focus between shots, unless you want to. 

Before I went on the trip, I thought that I would be using 1080, 50fps 10-bit. However, the advantage of 10-bit seems to be above all in "extreme" grading. I couldn't see any difference on any of the (not very modern) screens in my house. 4k gives you the advantage of being able to zoom in a little at least in post, and provided your shutter speed is twice the frame rate, i.e. 180 degrees, then the slo mo from slowing down 50 fps is really useful. Things like shots that just lasted 2-3 seconds in real time can be made to stand out a bit more.  If you want to go to less than 42% slo mo however, then you have to use 1080. I just put these different options in my custom pre-sets, so it's easy to switch. Variable frame rate is only available with manual focus of course....

One bizarre problem I had was that the camera completely froze at the start of a dive. I had just pressed AFL. Nothing I could do underwater would unfreeze it, including turning it off, pressing any of the buttons, etc. Only after the dive when I could take the battery out and re-insert it did the camera work again. I noticed that there were loads of "this video file cannot be played" on the card in the slot I'd been using. I realised that after a few days' use and transferring my shots every day to the hard drive, the card would probably need re-formatting. It seemed to do the trick, and the problem didn't occur again. 

Matt

Edited by matdiver1234, Yesterday, 08:58 AM.

Matt

Panasonic GH5 - Nauticam housing - single 50W Kowalski Maxum

https://vimeo.com/matdiverpalau

#184 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted Today, 07:10 AM

Here is some test footage i got with the GH5 nothing great as i was just trying to learn the camera.

Shot with the 14-42 PZ and WWL-1. 2xKeldan 4x lights

Standard profile without any alteration in the parameters. 4k 30fps 10bit 150mbps. Manual exposure. Auto focus

Manual white balance on the lights

Slight adjustments in Davinci 14 but nothing crazy. The 10bit footage though has lots of room for playing around.

https://www.youtube....h?v=yC-Am7Gxj2Y

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GH5, Panasonic, Panasonic GH5, Panasonic LUMIX GH5, DMC-GH5