4 replies to this topic

#1 RogerST

RogerST

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:10 AM

Caribbean Turtle Images

Many in this community are professional photographers selling images- this post is not necessarily for you, but for members like myself that freely give images to others for scientific publication.

I am in the process of re-writing a field guide of Lesser Antillean reptiles and am currently sourcing images. This book, like its predecessor, is aimed at conservationists, local field officers, students, and both professional and amateur biologists/naturalists.

I need in-water shots (head close up, and entire body) of Kemps Ridley and Leatherback turtles and an entire body of an Atlantic Loggerhead. I have a good shot of a female Green (ventral posterior) showing the short tail, but only a poor shot of a male showing the large tail.

If anyone can help with these please let me know- all images are individually credited to their creator

#2 rwe

rwe

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

I am definitely not a professional but I have donated quite a few fish images to Ross Robertson's Shorefishes of the Caribbean.  If you can find a photo that is useful for your purposes on my Flickr site ( https://www.flickr.c...9071@N08/albums) then you can use it.  Most of my turtle pictures are Hawksbill but I do have some loggerhead and green.  This is what I suggest:

1. Go to my flickr site and search for 'green turtle' and then 'loggerhead turtle'.  If it only shows a few pictures then look just above the last picture for a link that says 'View all X'' and click it.  Not all my pictures are labeled but when I did this I found 17 green turtle and 25 loggerhead turtle pictures.  If you see one that looks useful, click on it and then scroll down and the folder name will define the location and month/year the picture was taken.
  2. I don't have any Leatherback pictures or in ocean Kemp's Ridley pictures. 
  3. I do have a few pictures of a 34 year old Kemps Ridley male that I took through a window at Marineland.  I never went to the trouble to edit these but could do so if you are interested or could try to take some better ones since I volunteer there 3-4 days/month.  Unfortunately, they won't allow me to get in the tank.  This particular individual was hatched in an incubator in Texas as part of the Head Start program attempting to 'save the Kemps Ridleys' in the late 70s through 80s.  It was not released because it was born with a bone deformity in one front flipper but while it swims slowly, the deformity is not physically obvious.

Sony NEX-5N,10Bar Housing, Olympus C-8080, PT-023 (broken port tabs, of course), single Inon Z-240, flickr site: https://www.flickr.c...9071@N08/albums

#3 RogerST

RogerST

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:32 AM

Hi

Many thanks for your very helpful post. PM sent.

#4 DJash_e

DJash_e

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

Hey, I probably have some good full body shots of both male and female Green Turtles from Indonesia if that's any good for you?

#5 peartdiver

peartdiver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Diving, handball (different from team version), photography (land and sea), cooking, beer, gardening and peppers (peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppesr? That be me!)

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

I just returned from a trip to Curacao and had a great time with green turtles that frolicked at the house reef off the apts where I stayed. There are multiple images in the album posted on my website peartalert.com, but can be accessed directly via this link: https://photos.app.g...t3Dtp6HZqKBMbx9

If you find any that will help your effort please let me know and help yourself.

Peter