8 replies to this topic

#1 katy-kid

katy-kid

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:FLORIDA!

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

So I am a pale skinned redhead who has chosen probably the worst career path for my skin, underwater photography (which is ultimately also the most fulfilling thing ever....), I have been through the gamut on sunscreens and found this stuff called bare republic I use on my face that got good reviews from the EWG website, and its reef-safe: http://www.ewg.org/s...)/#.WuCecoEpDYU

What else does everyone use? This stuff is great but would love to find out if there's something that might last longer. Thanks for suggestions!

Katy Danca Galli

Atmospheric UW Photography

http://katydancagalli.com

#2 hchoat

hchoat

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

Very fair skinned blonde- native Floridian now residing in Hawaii.  I absolutely HATE sunscreen- it's hot, sticky, and it stinks (literally- I can't stand the smell of 99% of it).  I've tried them ALL.  The only thing I can tolerate is Stream2Sea.  It's reef and fish safe (actually tested), and the developer has a long history of development of safe cosmetics.  Bonus- the developer, Autumn Blum, is not only a diver but an underwater photographer.  It's magic- I can generally apply once and sweat/ be in and out of the waterfall day without the need to reapply.

#3 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, photography, motorcycling, current events, progressive politics, science, medicine, ADA issues, service dogs.

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:40 AM

I hope you find one that works for you. I tend to wear long sleeves and hats rather than sunscreen. It aint sexy but works for me. Being coral and fish-safe is important. Here in Hawaii the legislature is working on banning sun screens with oxybenzone and its derivatives which are allegedly harmful to coral.

#4 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

Neutrogena (with Helioplex)

A former landlord of mine had skin cancer (fisherman) and was treated at one of the top hospitals in the US. The cancer docs there recommended that. Its not cheap but really good stuff. Also heard good things about Raw Elements, but no real info, could just be marketing hype. 

Regarding that comparison website you linked - I've not looked at it but do remember researching a few years ago and there were some major impartiality & distortion problems with some of the major sunscreen comparisons. Honestly can't recall exactly, but as with everything online, read with extreme skepticism and seek multiple sources. So much disinformation out there. 

#5 Jeanpaul

Jeanpaul

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:31 PM

Nivea SPF 45

#6 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:49 AM

I'm with Humu797 - a long sleeved skin under the wetsuit, and a hat to cover my face is all I ever use.  I don't like to think that I am killing the coral that I am there to see.  I also can't stand the smell or feel of sunscreen on my skin.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#7 Rachelann1112

Rachelann1112

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

Zinc is supposed to be the best for preventing sun damage, but does anyone know if it is harmful to coral?? 

#8 Fruitographer

Fruitographer

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

Let me first say that I'm a red head and no topical sunscreen has ever worked well for me if at all. That being said, I now live in Florida full time and have also spent time in Costa Rica with some intense sun as well. I've found a solution that works better than anything else guaranteed and haven't worn sunscreen for over ten years and haven't been burnt once as long as I fresh home made carrot juice. 

I've got a spinal injury from a parachute accident with broken screws in my back. I've got to drink fresh home made juice every day or my back gets so bad I can't get out of bed. Usually I make carrot, celery, green apple which tastes amazing and gives you more energy than I ever thought was possible with no crash. It takes about 2-5 pounds of carrots juiced each day for this to work and it takes a week or so to start taking effect. I figured this out when I went to Costa Rica and was on the beach during high noon with no shirt and I didn't get burnt while others wearing sunscreen did. This blew me away because I was always the first to get burnt and could usually feel my skin starting to burn within 5 min normally. I knew something was different so I started researching and found that the betacarotene helps protect from the sun. I've found a couple articles that say to eat tomatoes or other things with betacarotene for protection as well. Let me say that it won't make a difference. I'm a raw vegan that buys tomatoes by the case. One winter I ate 1,300 points of tomato from my local organic farm and it didn't make any difference for sun protection. The only thing that works is juice and carrots specifically. 

Most people first think about turning orange from the carrots but I've had none of that. The reason people turn orange is because the betacarotene is leaching out the toxins through your skin which shows up as being orange. Once your body adjusts it will return the a proper skin color with maybe just a slightly more tan look. 

Now I tend to tan more or maybe for me it's mostly freckles but I don't get burnt. That being said I still take precautions and where a steamer suit or long sleeves to give me adde protection. Even if you don't get burnt the sun can do some serious damage and make you look much older than you really are. A close friend of mine used to sit out in the sun every day and now he looks jacked up compared to how he should be at his age. So the first step would be to get a steamer suit which I know ScubaPro has and also drink plenty of carrot juice each day. 

there was one time I stopped drinking carrot juice and I got severely burned in half the amount of sun I was normally in with juice. The first thing I did was drink a half gallon of carrot juice and put some aloe on. That night I went to sleep with no pain in a hot room and no fan. Normally I would need a fan directly on the burn and sleeping would be miserable. There was also no peeling afterwards either and I retained more of a tan instead. Of course I kept drinking juice everyday after as well to help.

Most sunscreen actually has carcinogenic ingredients which is ironic because that's one thing most people are trying to protect themselves from.

#9 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:53 AM

I am using sun lotion from Avene. Its ocean-safe and is the only sunscreen I have ever come accross that I would describe as having a nice smell. Its not oily and not sticky. Slightly expensive though...