• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tonio_ist

tonio_ist

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

I just put a leak sentinel V5 on my sea&sea mdx housing.

It seems i have leak according the leak sentinel.

Can someone tell me how to locate it ? I dont want to put the housing in water :-/

#2 blibecap

blibecap

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

I have found two ways to do this.

1 is with a vacuum, Go to the store and get some ritz clothing die, black and mix it up with 5 gallons of water. fill your housing with crumbled up paper towels and a weight in the center. Pull a vacuum on the housing and put it into the black water. check on it occasionally so you can find the leaking area as the paper towels will be black in that area.  

2 is with pressure. Remove the pump from the vacuum hose and pressurize the housing like blowing up a balloon. I believe that the leak sentinel valve will not seal so you will have to clamp off the hose to maintain the pressure in the housing. Dunk the housing in water and look for bubbles or spray the housing with a mixture of baby shampoo and water and watch for bubbles. 

To much pressure will force the housing half's apart so kept that in mind. and good luck. 

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#3 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2070 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

Has the V5 LED gone from green to red? Or did it never get to red? It’s possible you’ve not got a good enough vacuum which just might require a couple of extra pumps.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 pbalves

pbalves

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:17 AM

Hi Tonio.
If you were using the housing before putting the vacuum valve and it had not leakage, the leakage might be on the valve (or in it application).
Bump air into the housing by the valve is not possible (because the valve is only one way). You might take out the silicone tap, but if you are not confidence it is better not to do it.
If your housing does not have electronics, it is not a problem to put the housing without the camera into water. But remember that the VSentinel is also electronics.
A possibility to find the leak is to take out the valve, find a way to pump air into the housing and try evaluate were you can find he leakage is. If you have opportunity to pump air into the housing and you put it in a bucket with water and then pump air into it, you should be able to see the air coming out of the housing.
The baby shampoo (or other moisture of soft soap) helps also to see any leakage (together with the pump of air into the house)

#5 tonio_ist

tonio_ist

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

The led goes green then it begin to blink red and green

#6 tonio_ist

tonio_ist

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

I upgrade my housing with lot of things ( viewfinder, new back screen ‘handmade’, leaksentinel ...)
So it’s possible something is leaking :-/

#7 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2070 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

If it goes rapidly to red/green once it has reached green, it could be that it just needs a couple of extra pumps. I've found this with both the V4 and perhaps more so with the V5. I find with the V5 that it does take another few pumps to stabilise a green light.

You may well have done this already of course - but I offer it as possible simple solution!

I upgrade my housing with lot of things ( viewfinder, new back screen ‘handmade’, leaksentinel ...)
So it’s possible something is leaking :-/

Ahhhhh......

Tim
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

#8 pbalves

pbalves

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

Well, you can do what Tim has sugested (two or tree extra pumps after blinking green, and wait for 24h to check if it is realy a leak or the pressure being too close to the setpoint).

If the leak confirms, you can try to revert all the upgrades (puting in the original part),mount the acuum system and check the housing. And then placing all the other modifications one by one and test in between, to understand if the problem is in any of the elements.

#9 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:17 AM

The behavior you describe could be caused by air leaking back in through the valve, I've seen that when I have not re tightened to vacuum valve on my nauticam.   I am assuming the leak sentinel is similar in that you have something you can unscrew to admit air so you open the housing, then you have to tighten that again before pulling a vacuum again.  If that does not seal properly then air can leak in.

If you want to test you should be able to blow air into the housing with the vacuum release opened, but how easy that is depends on the design of the vaccum valve.

If not then undo all your changes, double check the o-ring on everything you change then the leak sentinel and install that first.  As suggested above install each upgrade one at a time, testing between each change.

#10 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2070 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:16 AM

The Vivid Sentinel isn't quite like that, Chris. There's a rubber/plasticky cover (under a screw dustcap) that you just nudge gently to one side to release the vacuum (f there's such a thing as releasing a vacuum). It's feasible that it might not re-seat properly (worth checking toni) but not very likely. The dustcap is the screw down part but that is only a dustcap and not part of the valve mechanism.

Tim

#11 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:26 AM

The Vivid Sentinel isn't quite like that, Chris. There's a rubber/plasticky cover (under a screw dustcap) that you just nudge gently to one side to release the vacuum (f there's such a thing as releasing a vacuum). It's feasible that it might not re-seat properly (worth checking toni) but not very likely. The dustcap is the screw down part but that is only a dustcap and not part of the valve mechanism.

I think the right understanding is letting air back into the housing.

#12 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2070 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:49 AM

I think the right understanding is letting air back into the housing.

LOL  I'm sure you are right there!  :crazy:

Tim

#13 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

Ok, seems less likely but as you say worth checking.  A lot depends on how quickly the vacuum is lost.  If it is rapid it has to be something like an o-ring not installed correctly or failure of the non return mechanism in the vacuum valve.  I did a test once placing a hair across the main housing o-ring to see how long it took to be detected - it was not a rapid loss of vacuum.   So if the vacuum is rapidly lost then you are looking for something like an o-ring installed incorrectly - wrong spot or missing or something at least from my limited experience and testing.

BTW as I understand it the dust cap functions as a seal, if it has an o-ring that is the primary protection against leaking water in through the vacuum valve.

#14 tonio_ist

tonio_ist

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

Thanx for replies ! I’ll check that with your advices in about 10 days.