Photo
- - - - -

Can you use Nauticam silicone on Sea&Sea blue o-ring?

silicone Nauticam Sea&Sea Zen compatibility o-ring

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

Intrigued by this discussion, I looked at the olympus supplied grease PSOLG-3 (for the PT-EP13 housing, but maybe for others too). It says "Silicone grease". It says "Silicone Grease, only for Silicone O-Ring". I assume there's some subtlty I'm missing, since it seems to contradict the above chart. Probably the name doesn't really tell much about the chemical composition.

There's no mileage in olympus or any other vendor helping you work out if a different grease will work for your o-rings and plenty of downside if they try to help and you misinterpret the advice and use the wrong material and cause the o-ring to swell.  So you'll never get any other advice than "use our grease" 

#22 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

Does anyone know, by chance, what the Zen branded grease is?  I have a few containers of it and its appearance is such that I am fairly sure it is not Tribolube or Christo.  I am switching to just taking nauticam grease in their little tubes or taking Tribolube in a contact lens case with me instead of 3-4 different brands for strobes, housing, ports, focus lights, etc.  I doubt the Zen can fill that role, based on appearance, but maybe someone can tell me for sure.

#23 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1879 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

I don't have any so I can't test it, but Reef says it is compatible with buna, silicone and fluorosilicone. I wouldn't chance it, just use the tribolube

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#24 jcclink28

jcclink28

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

Life is much easier when all your O-rings are buna-n (black) & you have a tube of good quality silicone grease.  There's really no need for all the pretty colors or multiple greases.  First thing I did with my new S&S D2 strobes was to remove the blue o-ring on the battery cap & replace it with buna.  Just make sure you have the correct o-ring sizes for replacement.

Edited by jcclink28, 14 March 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#25 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

I approach it form the other end.  I just use Tribolube or Nauticam grease on everything.  But I don't like wasting all those other little tubes and jars of stuff so I sometimes carry those around and use them too.  I don't want o be trying to figure out which O rings fit what if I don't have to.  But your approach sounds logical.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: silicone, Nauticam, Sea&Sea, Zen, compatibility, o-ring