4 replies to this topic

#1 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hello all:

Trying to plan a trip to Cocos, and have a question for those experts who have been there before.

If you could only go to Cocos once in your life what 1 or 2 months would you go? The highest probability of having awesome diving is what I am looking for.

Also,

I keep reading about how El Nino years are not good years to go to Cocos. How do you find out what years are El nino are in effect for cocos? and how far in advance do they know?

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

thanks,
Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#2 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

If you could only go to Cocos once in your life what 1 or 2 months would you go? The highest probability of having awesome diving is what I am looking for.

I've now been in May-June (2010) and March (2011) and while both trips had good weather and minimal rain, there were definitely more hammerheads there in March. I have heard that the peak season for the hammers is September, but that also tends to be a time of rainier weather. This page will give you an idea of what to expect weather-wise, but remember, it's a rare trip when you see no rain whatsoever: http://underseahunte...05/climate.html Also, if you look back at various trip reports here, they tell you what the weather & water conditions were like on each trip: http://underseahunte...ripreports.html Personally, I would go any time of the year but if I had my choice I would like to see what September is like.

I keep reading about how El Nino years are not good years to go to Cocos. How do you find out what years are El nino are in effect for cocos? and how far in advance do they know?

El Niño year are not good because the warmer waters tend to keep the hammerheads to depths beyond recreational scuba. But they may also bring in different creatures. You may notice coral bleaching during or after an El Niño but coral isn't the reason one goes to Cocos. This page will tell you a bit more about El Niño in general: http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/

By the way, if you haven't yet booked a boat I would highly recommend the Undersea Hunter boats. They and their crew are clean, professional, safe, wonderful, and the best group to dive Cocos with.

-Gina

#3 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

I have been there in June this year for 10 days with Solmar V and it was one of the best dive trip I ever made. Lot's of hammerheads and white tip reef sharks anyways, and even tiger sharks on a certain spot in almost every dive. Rainy season but diving finest.

1207-Cocos-WP2.jpg
1207-Cocos-WP1.jpg
1207-Cocos-WP3.jpg

sorry, it was on the underseahunter, not on solmar V

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#4 maelstrom

maelstrom

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cycling, photography

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Fantastic shots. Were you using a rebreather?

#5 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

no rebreahter, just nitrox. impossible to travel with rebreather and camera equipment....

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome