• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Bob_W

Bob_W

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:21 AM

If you have any problem with TTL setup, i can help. 

By the way, i heard positive reviews from D500 users, who installed TTL board.

I don't believe the problem is one of setup, but rather inconsistency of the TTL converter. For example, a series of shots of the same subject yields widely varied results. Some overexposed, some underexposed, some right on. Also, same subject, varying the aperture, one would expect the TTL to do the compensation and provide very similar results. Nope, results all over the place. And for some strange reason, everything works fine on the bench.

Given that everything made falls within tolerances, and that 2 devices that have to work together can be at the extreme, opposite, ends of their tolerances. So it's possible that that is what's happening here. I've considered trying a different camera body to see if that makes a difference. I just don't happen to have a spare D500 body laying around.

So for now, for us, the converter remains unreliable and only used in the manual position.

Bob W

#22 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:UNDERWATER PHOTO

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

Bob, If you want to find the reason, let's discuss your setup and shooting in messenger, step by step in details. Ok?

I will try to help. Hope we can solve the issue.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 09 May 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#23 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

Bob, are you still using your Olympus OM-D? I have an E-M5 and used to have exactly the same problems with inconsistent TTL exposure you describe. I was told the fiber optic cables could be the problem - I had cheap ones - and that was it! I bought one Sea&Sea and one Nauticam cable. No more problems since then.

But still, as I wrote in an earlier post, IMHO background exposure in Macro with sync speeds of 1/125sec and below and small apertures is NOT dependent on sync speed. So you do not get a darker background (which was the „opener“ in this thread) when using 1/250s instead of 1/125s. The burning time of the strobe is shorter anyhow, so it does not matter what exposure time you set.

Pavel probably knows if I am right or wrong.

Regards
Jock

---
http://www.dive-images.de/
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#24 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1882 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

TTL exposure underwater can not be better than TTL exposure of the camera/strobe on land. In my hands at least, Olympus EM1 mark I had pretty poor performance of TTL using the small flash at anything other than f5.6 to f14.  Outside those bounds, I got very uneven results.  Certainly fiber optics can play a part, but it is hard to understand how two shots 5 seconds apart could yield one over and one under exposure with the same setup.

Cheers

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ys-d1, sync, 1/250, 1/320, half dark, high speed sync