Photo
- - - - -

Seacam Seaflash 100D, powerful enough? Any experience?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Markobaricevic20

Markobaricevic20

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

Hi,

Im considering purchase of Seacam strobes (pair), 100D.
Does anyone have experience with them?
I know this strobes are well build, have nice 4400 K temp and very wide angle (130 degrees) of light.
But are they powerful enough?
Due to emission of 100 Ws distibuted so widely I wonder if they will be strong enough for standard (WA and macro) photography? It has GN of 10 (UW).
Another option are Inon Z330s... (Im aware of difference in bulbs and light distribution but its 130 Ws on 110 degrees...).
Any experience, sugestion advice...?
Thanks,
Marko

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

I do not have the 100D but do have the other D models. I have used the 150Ds the most - mine are in both Canon and Nikon flavors but just one of each. I have used just one strobe with diffuser for many of my shots with no problem. Fisheye lenses used the most. Do not see a problem with the 100D other than that the LED display was left out and this is one of the nicest features of the 150D IMHO.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#3 Markobaricevic20

Markobaricevic20

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:18 PM

I do not have the 100D but do have the other D models. I have used the 150Ds the most - mine are in both Canon and Nikon flavors but just one of each. I have used just one strobe with diffuser for many of my shots with no problem. Fisheye lenses used the most. Do not see a problem with the 100D other than that the LED display was left out and this is one of the nicest features of the 150D IMHO.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for feedback.
In one of your posts you tested Seaflash 60D, did I understood correctly they failed, something went wrong with both strobes? What happened, what was failure and how it was solved?
Thanks!

#4 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:00 AM

Seacam did not say what caused the failures. Both were repaired under warranty.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/