• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:32 PM

Has anyone been to both of these resorts during the past year or so? Can you provide a comparison of accommodations, food, dive guides, #divers/guide, #boat dives/day, quality of house reef (# of critters), cost/day, extra cost for night or extra dives, etc. Thanks for your help.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#2 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:01 PM

I've only been to LR (was there last month), not KBR. I can say it was very nice. My only complaint was that our bungalow was waaaaaay up the hill from the beach/dive area/camera room/dining area. If you're not into climbing a lot of stairs, don't get room 12. One definite draw of LR is that the house reef is a mandarin fish mating dive. Every evening at sunset, right off the beach . . .

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#3 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

I've been to both resorts in the past year or so. The accomodation is similar in quality at both resorts, maybe with a slight edge to KBR. Food there was also better. The pool at LR is nicer, though.

Dive guides at both resorts are very competent and generally help you find what you're after. I had my own dive guide in both places, but I think the norm is 1:2 or 1:4 max.

The house reef of both resorts are great, with the mandarin fish at LR, and the pygmy seahorse at KBR.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:11 PM

What matt said PLUS
Remember Lembeh Resort is in the leeside of Lembeh Island so it doesn't have as much breeze in some parts of the year as KBR, which is why they needed the ac.
Been to both more than a few times, KBR is different now, being upgraded and not as "eco" designed as before, with the pool and ac. You use to get more bang for buck at LR when they were discounting.
There are also some coral/wall dives at the tips and east side of Lembeh Island. Not many people go there but it's great to break the monotony of black sand after 2 weeks!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:01 AM

We haven't been to both resorts but spent a few days at KBR while waiting to get on Ocean Rover in July '05.

The house reef was healthy, and the guides helpful.
Food wasn't too bad and the room was basic but comfortable.

We would return.

Mark
---------------
Mark

#6 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:17 AM

If you are there to dive, go to KBR. They have not only a pool, very cool rooms and lodge and a great camera room, but they have an awesome house reef. You can make some fantastic snorkel and scuba dives. I just won best of show in the NCUPS competition with a shot I took on a snorkel dive on the house reef at KBR. You won't be dissapointed if you choose KBR, although in all fairness to LS, I haven't been there.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#7 clownphoto

clownphoto

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:24 AM

Lembeh Resort is wonderful also...great house reef with lots of mating mandarinfish at dusk, fantastic dive guides and one of the best camera rooms I've seen at any resort....you won't go wrong either place...and they all dive the same sites from the boats. One of the best things I saw when we were there was that they call each other every morning to find out where their boats are going so they don't overlap boats on dive sites...great cooperation between the two resorts!
Have a great time.

Dive Travel Services

Janet Czapski
Nikon D7000 in Aquatica housing, lots of lenses & Inon Z220's/Z240

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - Augustine

#8 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:07 AM

I have been to Lembeh Resort. KBR began the renovation process about the time we went, so things at KBR were kind of in turmoil at the time. Eco Divers had just taken over the dive op. I've heard that KBR is now much better, on par with LR.

My wife thought LR was the most beautiful place on earth. She cried when we left for Manado. She cried again when she saw the room we got at Murex ;) The room at LR was big enough to put a spare pool table in there. Who knew she would love the muck!

Sure, I've got bad knees, but I barely noticed those 87 steps from the pool area to our room. ;)

Food was good off the menu, but they would have these "buffet" nights that were pretty crappy.

Dive guides were great. KBR has better/faster boats.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#9 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:24 PM

LR:  Food was good off the menu, but they would have these "buffet" nights that were pretty crappy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen, brother. The resort wasn't full when I got there, but the second night a bunch more people showed up tripping whatever interlock it is that triggers buffet night -- not a happy surprise after the night dive. It was also interesting in that you could order as many things off the menu as you wanted when ordering off the menu was allowed (an appetizer, two appetizers, two entrees, etc.). The banana shakes are really good, though -- until you run them out of vanilla ice cream (eh, Bruce? ;) ).

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#10 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:20 AM

At KBR, I would often get up at 3-4 a.m. and go into the upstairs TV room in the main lodge. Only me and the desk guy were there. I would order a pot of coffee and some of those awesome seahorse churros. Never a problem with the food, ordering whatever you want, whenever you want right off the menu. Even when they had buffets, you still could order off the menu. I am already discussing my next KBR visit with my wife. We fell in love with that resort.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com