Photo
- - - - -

first lightroom edited photo. critique, please.

annas chromodoris philippine siren cagayancillo nudibranch q.phia canon 50mm macro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 q.phia

q.phia

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

this is the first image i've used lightroom to edit.

please let me know what you think?

thanks!

q.

Attached Images

• cagayancillo anna's chromodoris, philippine siren, 2014 2 small (1 of 1).jpg

#2 jahjahwarrior

jahjahwarrior

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

You should use brush to reduce exposure all along the top to eliminate the fuzzy back scatter. Nice shot!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

Hi q

Welcome to Wetpixel!  Thanks for sharing your image.  I have a couple of things you could try and see what you think.  

-To my eye the entire background has some fuzzy green spots in it.  The easiest way to mod this would be to pull the blacks left in the tone adjustment area, about 30 or so should do it.

-Recommend you use the spot removal tool to get rid of that chuck floating along the top edge

-Might want to go for a more subtle focus on the nudi by going to the Effects area and pulling a little post crop vignette , maybe around 30 or so,  The green bottom is kind of nondescript and doesn't do much for me

-I'd try adding just a touch of Vibrance to pop the orange, maybe +13 to start

Then I'd think about playing with the crop, you have all kinds of pixels starting with the 5D MKII image.  I think you could try to bring the nudi just a touch lower in the frame, maybe try it around the "rule of thirds "position, see what you think.  I hate rules for composition as a general habit but sometime they just work.

It's easy to get a little carried away and "overcook" your files so take it easy,  Maybe something like this;

SW_q_1.jpg

I think you'll find that Lightroom gives you all the tools you need to process your file and create the image you want.  Google Doug Sloss and his Lightroom video for underwater imagery, well worth the price for unique underwater situations.  You should also checkout Erin Quigley at Go ask Erin or her stuff on the Backscatter site.  She's wonderful.  There are lots of Adobe resources out there, like http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/ 

Most importantly have fun with it, always remember, if it feels painful you're doing it wrong.  

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2115 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:05 AM

Hi Q

Nice pic! I really like the way you have isolated the nudi against the black background creating neutral space and drawing the eye to the critter. Nice job.

Some excellent suggestions from Steve

I think he's right especially about the green foreground that the nudi is walking across. I'd be tempted to play around a bit with the graduation filter to tone down, drop highlights and de-sharpen that area a bit. I'd also have a go at trying to tone down slightly (in brightness terms) the area immediately below the nudi's head - which seems slightly brighter than the surrounding area and therefore, to my eye, slightly distracting.

But this is all a bit nit-picky (you did ask for suggestions!). I think, bottom line, this is a nice image, well executed.

Not a bad program, eh? Steve mentions Erin, I've also got Matt Kelby's "Lightroom Killertips" on my Newsify feed and have learned lots from this (thanks, Matt!)

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 mcgowman

mcgowman

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:22 AM

Tim,

Did you mean to refer to Scott Kelby (and/or Matt Kloskowski)? 

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2115 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:55 AM

LOL! Yeah, one of them.... or both.  :fool:   Sorry! Lightroom Killertips anyway, A real good source of info and techniques.

Edited by TimG, 05 April 2015 - 09:56 AM.

Tim
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

#7 q.phia

q.phia

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

thanks guys!  those are great suggestions!  

i see a little bit of lighter 'chuckbackscatter' in the upper part of the photo (i don't see it through the whole background- monitor calibration issue, maybe?)- i left it there because of all the discussions i've read about the subject being in a more natural environment, instead of in complete black.  i think for this subject, however, that a completely black background is necessary.  the 'chuck/backscatter' is just distracting.  

and i'll totally play with the foreground & crop it even more... film is free in digital, right?

thanks so much!  i'll post another soon!

#8 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2115 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:52 AM

Hey q.phia

We hope it was helpful.

I think you are right though about not making the background completely black. Much depends on the context of course - and its "art" so very personal, but I do think some low-key blurry elements in the background can help especially if the colours key-in with the subject in some way. That all sounds a bit artsy-pretentious ("pretentious, moi?") but isn't meant to be.

Here are a couple of examples. Would they be better if the background was all black? For me, no. But hey, you pays your money, you makes your choice.....

Attached Images

• TG22523.jpg
  • TG20939.jpg

Tim

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: annas chromodoris, philippine siren, cagayancillo, nudibranch, q.phia, canon 50mm macro