• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 wrb

wrb

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:35 AM

Hi I have noticed over the past couple of years that my close vision eye sight has deteriorated. I use bifocal lenses for reading on land and was wondering if anyone could suggest the best option underwater. My dilema is this: With a normal lens i can just about see my watch and computer on my wrist, the long distance vision is fine and I can still identify a healthy reef thankgoodness. When I use my housed camera I have great difficulty in seeing the controls or the picutres I have taken. can anybody who has experienced these problems please offer a solution. To my way of thnking I need lenses that allow me to fully operate my housed camera when close to my face, will allow me to read my watch at the end of my arm and enable me to continue to see the dive that I am participating in. All suggestions will be appreciated.

#2 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:11 AM

You can buy bifocal dive masks.

prescriptiondivemasks.com

Edited by jlyle, 30 March 2010 - 06:13 AM.

Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#3 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:04 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image
Two years ago I brought a dive mask with a plastic eyeglass frame from ebay.
Then,I ordered a "progressive lens" for the plastic eyeglass frame, and insert the frame into the tusa dive mask.
The best underwater vision I ever have. Both my eye have surgery for retinal detachment and cateract.
I can film and look at the video monitor and able to see far end of the object at the same time.

Edited by edmond320, 30 March 2010 - 07:11 AM.

#4 Kilili

Kilili

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

I have one eye corrected by contact lens for near vision, and use different powers for diving, as opposed to "normal" life. A dive trip can be a month or two, so I switch lenses at the beginning of tghe trip, then back again at the end. This fine adjustment allows me to better see the really small macro stuff. Tried bifocal lenses in mask, as well as those gauge inserts, but they are reliant on you using the ower part of your field of vision. I find this creates eye strain, and suboptimal vision. Progressive presents similar problems. When using the camera, and for visual inspection of subject material, I find it much better to look dead on.

If you've not tried this kind of "split vision", different corrections for each eye, it works much better than you might imagine. I always wear the one contact lens, and add extra correction as needed. For driving, movies, and such, I wear glasses with optimal correction for far vision. When using a computer, I frequently wear a pair of reading glasses, with a single lens to correct the one eye for near vision. With age, come vision problems. My approach works quite well for me.
Ken
Kilili Studios
ken@kilili.com

Nikon D2x with Subal ND2, and all that other stuff

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

I use one day contact lenses (cheap if you loose one) to enhance my view far away.
As i start to have difficulties to read near too, i will soon put this in my mask: http://www.optx2020.com/diveoptx.cfm
I know a lot of divers using this inexpensive and simple solution and all are happy (as far as they can, having need of reading glasses...) with it.
A better solution would be graduated lenses for your dive mask, but they are expensive, limit your choice of mask and
may not be available as multi-focal glasses.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#6 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

I use one day contact lenses (cheap if you loose one) to enhance my view far away.
As i start to have difficulties to read near too, i will soon put this in my mask: http://www.optx2020.com/diveoptx.cfm
I know a lot of divers using this inexpensive and simple solution and all are happy (as far as they can, having need of reading glasses...) with it.
A better solution would be graduated lenses for your dive mask, but they are expensive, limit your choice of mask and
may not be available as multi-focal glasses.

Chris

I'm about to graduate to bifocals myself and hear good things about the stick on type such as the diveoptx...I wear a multi-focal contact but still have to use reading glasses top side and have a tough time reading my strobe settings UW....sooo I'll be buying a set soon too...only like $40 a pair at my local dive shop.

Old age blows!

Mike
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#7 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

I had the same problems that you are describing.

I found an "off the shelf" Seavision dive mask with diopters built into the lens at my LDS so I could finally read my gauges without any hindrances. They are more expensive than a regular dive mask but well worth it as far as I'm concerned. Price as I remember it was around $199.00 CAD for the mask and lenses with built-in diopters.

Their website is located HERE.

I also dive with an Oceanic Datamask and had a small magnifying lens professionally cemented into the lower portion of the mask by my optician. The lens works perfectly and it wasn't that expensive (about $80.00 CAD) to have done. I gave up on the stick-on diopters as I kept loosing them.

You can also do a search on the topic here at Wetpixel as I recall several threads over the last few years with some excellent suggestions in them.
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#8 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

I found an "off the shelf" Seavision dive mask with diopters built into the lens at my LDS so I could finally read my gauges without any hindrances. They are more expensive than a regular dive mask but well worth it as far as I'm concerned. Price as I remember it was around $199.00 CAD for the mask and lenses with built-in diopters.

I also dive with an Oceanic Datamask and had a small magnifying lens professionally cemented into the lower portion of the mask by my optician. The lens works perfectly and it wasn't that expensive (about $80.00 CAD) to have done. I gave up on the stick-on diopters as I kept loosing them.

You can also do a search on the topic here at Wetpixel as I recall several threads over the last few years with some excellent suggestions in them.

I have used the Seavision dive mask called the "gauge reader" for several years. I wear contacts for diving and the gauge readers are great for seeing my camera controls. Don't forget to adjust the viewfinder diopter on your camera to work well with looking through the housing.

I tried the stick on diopters before this mask and they just kept falling off.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#9 Natalie_S

Natalie_S

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, travel

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:58 AM

I used to wear contact lenses for distance correction, but in the past few years my near vision has been affected and I needed reading glasses. I tried the stick on lenses inside my mask but they kept falling off or fogging up.

Then I found out that there is such a thing as multifocal contact lenses. They are like progressive lenses for eyeglasses, in that you have a near vision, middle vision and distance vision correction built in. It took a while to find a compatible brand, but I've been using them since last summer and they've been great! I can see my gauges when I'm diving, and I no longer need reading glasses to read tiny print above water. Check these out if you're already wearing contact lenses.
Nikon D300 in Sea & Sea housing, 10.5 mm, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 100 mm, SubSee diopter, Woody's diopter, 2x YS-110 strobes, BossK Big Blue 170 focus light.

Underwater photos

Portraits and Fashion

#10 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

I have tried the contacts lenses and glue-in lenses. Seavision is the best. I have a no line, multi focal with astigmatism correction mask.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#11 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

Been using these folks for many years and have always been satisfied.
http://prescriptiondivemasks.com/
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#12 resappraiser

resappraiser

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

Been using these folks for many years and have always been satisfied.
http://prescriptiondivemasks.com/
Steve

Just sent my Hollis M-1 to these folks this week. Have tried the diveoptix inserts with unsat success. Left lens kept coming loose even after repeated cleanings and installations. Talked to the folks at prescription dive masks and was sold. Very positive and informative. Great web site also. Be sure to check out their "how to dot your pupil" and "how to draw your bifocal line" on their website. My wife got a little carried away with the sharpie and felt it necessary to include my eye brows as well!

Bob

#13 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

Prescriptiondivemasks.com is a fantastic company. I have conferred with Linda long and hard and came up with a "reader" mask where more than HALF of the lens is the "bifocal". I have excellent equipment reading without having to look through a little lens corrector. I still have good distance vision at the top half of the lens.

I just got my second mask with the same configuration. Works GREAT!!

#14 holloways

holloways

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

Prescriptiondivemasks.com is a fantastic company. I have conferred with Linda long and hard and came up with a "reader" mask where more than HALF of the lens is the "bifocal". I have excellent equipment reading without having to look through a little lens corrector. I still have good distance vision at the top half of the lens.

I just got my second mask with the same configuration. Works GREAT!!

#15 holloways

holloways

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

I'm lucky in that Prescriptiondivemasks.com is physically located about a mile from my house, in a little strip mall, next door to Baskin and Robbins.

Any suggestions as to which brand / style of mask, or characteristics of a mask, work best for adding the "reader" capability. I know Prescriptiondivemasks.com sells masks (upon which to apply the "reader" capability). Should I buy one of their masks - or bring in my own? Which brand/style of mask have y'all had success with?

#16 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

Another vote for Prescriptiondivemasks.com, they are wonderful.
I have the executive readers and use an Atomic Frameless Mask.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#17 resappraiser

resappraiser

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

I'm lucky in that Prescriptiondivemasks.com is physically located about a mile from my house, in a little strip mall, next door to Baskin and Robbins.

Any suggestions as to which brand / style of mask, or characteristics of a mask, work best for adding the "reader" capability. I know Prescriptiondivemasks.com sells masks (upon which to apply the "reader" capability). Should I buy one of their masks - or bring in my own? Which brand/style of mask have y'all had success with?

If you're happy with the mask you have now, call them and ask if they can add the "reader" lens to your mask. That's what I did and they said "no problem".

Bob

#18 ktmadventurer

ktmadventurer

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Diving, outdoors, exploring on land and under water, living Life!

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

Not sure where you are, but I know this mob post all over the world.
http://www.ozbobscuba.com

you simply give Rob your optical prescription, send him your mask, indicate where on the mask you want the lenses and he sends it right back.
My photography improved quite literally with the first dive I did with them; I'm getting a second mask done in case I lose the first one. Can't dive without it now.
Scuba diver with photography problem...
or is it photographer with scuba diving problem?

#19 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

You and I live fairly close to each other. I'm in La Mesa. Never buy a brand, of anything, whether it is a mask, a TV, a car. You always buy the 'model'. Find a mask that fits you well, is of low volume and feels comfortable. No matter whether it is Scuba Pro, Atomic or any other brand. If it feels good on you, if it fits properly, that is the one to get. Remember that a new mask will fog up on you so scrub the whole mask with either dishwashing soap, toothpaste or whatever works as long as it is non abrasive. Then clean it again...and again. Eventually the silicon spray that is sprayed over the entire mask will go away and you'll have clear vision made clearer by your lens.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#20 ians.moyes@gmail.com

ians.moyes@gmail.com

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, photography, computers. Pretty much anything geeky. lol

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

I have all kinds of problems with my eyes because I had an undiagonosed "lazy eye" when I was a youngster. It caused my right eye to become overly dominant and resulted in astigmatism in my left eye. This caused strain in my right eye, taking up the slack. I have a completely different prescription in my left eye to the one in my eye.

Above water I wear varifocals, from the moment I wake up, to the moment I go to sleep.

So, I guess I feel qualified to comment on this post.

I used to wear contact lenses when I was diving and I hated them. They only corrected my near vision, made my distance vision worse and they stung, made my eyes water, all kinds of annoyances.

Eventually, about 6 months ago, I decided to try a (cheap, just in case it didn't work) prescription lens mask.

I visited my LDS http://sounddiving.co.uk/ and bought a new mask, identical to the one I already use, nothing special, in fact, a bit generic but, I like it. Steve sent it off to have the lenses fitted, two weeks later I was in the water with it.

Total cost was about GB£130.

It is, without a doubt, the best piece of dive gear I've EVER bought. It's revolutionised my enjoyment of my diving.

I have a Simply Health https://www.simplyhe...ce=ppc&cid=9703 private health plan through work that gives me a GB£200 allowance for prescription eye wear and dentistry and, after a little coaxing, they paid for the mask and the lenses.

When my policy renews in January I'm going to have a verifocal version and keep my existing one as a spare.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be: If you're thinking about it but hesitating don't, go do it. Don't get stick ons, don't wear contacts, go see your LDS and order a mask with fixed, corrected lenses, you won't regret it.
Wreck divers are always bringing up the past