7 replies to this topic

#1 ceckaa

ceckaa

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

Hi all!

I need some help. I am just planning a dive trip to Komodo or Raja Ampat. Anyone can help me witch one is better for manta whale shark?
And witch period is the best? I also interested in cheapest way to fly there.(from Europe)

Many thanks!!

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

Neither for whalesharks. You have to go to Cenderawasih, Pulau Ahe. Search the archives. I know someone put out a report from the area.

Mantas can be nice in Komodo (especially if the manta aggregation is going off at Karang Makassar. There are a few manta points in but you can also get mantas in Bali or the islands surrounding Bali. Komodo has lots of other things to offer like the dragons etc. Raja Empat has wonderful stuff around it as well. You should do both. :)

Flights I have no idea but I'll assume you'll have to fly to some major hub like AMS, CDG or FRA to get there.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hi,

To get to komodo you can either fly into denpasar bali then get a connecting domestic flight to laubon bajo or bima or you can fly with airasia into kuala lumpur and then go onto denpasar-laubon bajo/bima..

Airasia is real nice because if you get a promo ticket its cheap as hell and you can get 50kg of luggage.. The only problem is the domestic flight from denpasar bali will probably only offer the usual so you might get hit with a bit of a fee... Theres quite a few tips to use when trying to avoid baggage fee's.

Or you can start a liveaboard in bali and head to komodo.

Or you can get a ferry, pretty sure that takes a while. i have a friend thats done that so can get details if you want.

Speaking of diving Komodo, to get to the best sites Liveaboard is the only way to do it...

Komodo is incredible!

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

I wouldn't recommend either Komodo or Raja Ampat for charismatic megafauna; what they both have is a phenomenal diversity of life, and the possibility of big shoals. Indonesia isn't, in my opinion, great for sharks. The mantas around Komodo can be impressive, but, like all wildlife, come and go.

Komodo 2011

Tim

:)

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:04 AM

Sounds like you'd enjoy the Maldives.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 ceckaa

ceckaa

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

Thanks everybody!

#7 ceckaa

ceckaa

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hi!
Yes air asia is realy the best solution in the region. Can You write a few details about this "ferry-tour"?

I am just a little bit afraid of the distance between Bali and Komodo. Maybe liveaboard what starts from Bali miss some "must see " dive spot, because of the rush. Anybody have some experiense about dive safari like this?

Thanks!

Hi,

To get to komodo you can either fly into denpasar bali then get a connecting domestic flight to laubon bajo or bima or you can fly with airasia into kuala lumpur and then go onto denpasar-laubon bajo/bima..

Airasia is real nice because if you get a promo ticket its cheap as hell and you can get 50kg of luggage.. The only problem is the domestic flight from denpasar bali will probably only offer the usual so you might get hit with a bit of a fee... Theres quite a few tips to use when trying to avoid baggage fee's.

Or you can start a liveaboard in bali and head to komodo.

Or you can get a ferry, pretty sure that takes a while. i have a friend thats done that so can get details if you want.

Speaking of diving Komodo, to get to the best sites Liveaboard is the only way to do it...

Komodo is incredible!

#8 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hi!
Yes air asia is realy the best solution in the region. Can You write a few details about this "ferry-tour"?

I am just a little bit afraid of the distance between Bali and Komodo. Maybe liveaboard what starts from Bali miss some "must see " dive spot, because of the rush. Anybody have some experiense about dive safari like this?

Thanks!

The company was http://www.peramatour.com/

He basically just used them to get there and back and not a island tour.

I dont have any info on the liveaboards from bali to komodo unfortunately, i just know they do exist.

One thing about diving komodo, its no swimming pool. You have to be comfortable in the water and have had experience in currents before, it often brings hectic conditions a washing machine would be proud of. just something for you to think about