• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Good comparison of the BMCC vs. The Canon.

#2 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

It seems that you can get wide enough despite the cropping factor of the BMCC.

Wishlist: u/w housing with sufficient battery, media and some way to control the touch screen of the camera. Atleast Aquatica has experience of this with their (earlier) version of the HD Wave housing that had mechanical pushbuttons for the Sony touch screen...

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#3 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1985 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

He makes the 5D3 look like absolute garbage in that video, compared to the BMCC, and skips a low-light comparison. Can't help but wonder about the objectivity of the test.

#4 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

He makes the 5D3 look like absolute garbage in that video, compared to the BMCC, and skips a low-light comparison. Can't help but wonder about the objectivity of the test.

Yep, I had the same impression. I posted that video in the BMCC thread few days ago. They say that pushed both camera in extreme shot conditions like against the sun... But it doesn't convince me. Never saw that garbage out of a 5DMKII & III
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

I doubt Mario is interested in just trashing the 5D3. He's just doing crazy stuff to prove a point. There is no question the output from the BMCC is superior to the 5D3. It's a 2.5k output vs 700+ pixels, and RAW vs H.264. They are totally different products.

Still the One River test does bring up a few things :

1. Different focal length lenses have different effects on the subject. By trying to match FOV, he doesn't do it accurately enough because of the crop factors involved. Subject distortion from 16mm to 35mm is significant.Which leads to...

2. Shot settings: The 2.3 crop of the BMCC means it has almost a 3 stop DOF difference. Some of the differences could be explained by the FOV and DOF differences. For instance, the 5D3 is mostly using a wider lens in 35mm terms. Glare affects the shot differently than a narrower lens. So things like the sky has much more gradation (not that there is going to be a huge difference, but it is noticeable) with the FF camera.

I could go on but Mario's video is to show that RAW kicks H.264, sort of a no-brainer but I guess informative for those who watch how different each scene is in terms of DOF and FOV, and also how the different lenses distort and deal with glare (like sun and headlights). I doubt anyone would push the All-i codec the way they did.

All said and done, the BMCC is the better video camera by leaps and bounds, UNLESS one wants to shoot past 1600ISO or shoot in crapped spaces with very wide rectilinear lenses. But then try shooting stills @ 22mp @ 6fps with the BMCC... or even find a housing! ;)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

I thought it was an interesting test.

One would expect a considerable difference in IQ given the very different sensor sizes/DOF and codecs...and that's exactly what his results show. I'm finding the same thing with my hacked GH2's and D800's. Alone the D800 looks pretty good until the same scene is compared with the GH2.

The BMC is starting to get my attention. I can't wait to see how the GH3 performs in comparison. I suspect that the BMC and the GH3 will complement each other nicely...one for careful tripod work, the other for handheld doco type shooting and UW. Being able to use M43 lenses on both cameras is also a big plus. :)

BUT...no matter how impressive the BMC is I'm not buying into the dopey fixed internal battery design. Lithium batteries start losing capacity from the day they leave the factory and will need replacing in a relatively short time (3 years or so) to maintain maximum capacity. I'm sure this was done for cost cutting/release price reasons and BMC version 2 will have interchangeable batteries.