24 replies to this topic

#1 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:54 PM

Hi photography gurus,

I came back to Tonga and took some pictures with the whales. I was using a dome port on an underwater housing and 16-55mm lens. As I was processing the pictures in Lightroom, I see strange concentric circles in the picture. Does anyone have any idea is this because of the dome?

I have attached one of such picture.

Thanks,

Attached Images

• 2018-09-17_17-48-45.jpg

#2 echo2600

echo2600

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:51 PM

That looks to be a reflection of the front of your lens, coming off of the inside of the dome.... at least, thats my guess....

What direction was the ambient light coming from?

#3 spyros.spyrou

spyros.spyrou

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:04 PM

Hi photography gurus,

I came back to Tonga and took some pictures with the whales. I was using a dome port on an underwater housing and 16-55mm lens. As I was processing the pictures in Lightroom, I see strange concentric circles in the picture. Does anyone have any idea is this because of the dome?
I have attached one of such picture.
Thanks,

I think you are using an acrylic dome and it is a reflection...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:30 PM

Interesting observation! Sun was on the top and I was looking down and it does look like a lens reflection of the blades. I was wondering why it looks like a polygon.

So is there a way to avoid it? Does acrylic or glass matter?

#5 davec13o2

davec13o2

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:40 PM

Short of an antireflection coating, you could consider post processing.  For astrophotography, I use Gradient Exterminator to get rid of such banding.

#6 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:29 PM

It might be a reflection, but the banding suggests to me that it could also be an artifact of post processing. I see this sometimes when applying extreme corrections like a lot of contrast and color correction to a lower resolution JPEG file. Were you working with a RAW file or JPEG?

I also see what looks like sensor dust at the lower left.

#7 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:45 PM

I shoot a lot, including tons of blue water whale images and I've never seen a reflection like that. Reflections come from sunlight hitting the front of the lens and reflecting in the dome port. You only ever see a section of the lens, not an entire circle. You'd have to shoot with the sun dead center in the frame for that to be possible. 

I'd agree with troporobo - my best guess is post processing artifacts. It happens with blue water images quite easily. 

#8 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:36 PM

It might be a reflection, but the banding suggests to me that it could also be an artifact of post processing. I see this sometimes when applying extreme corrections like a lot of contrast and color correction to a lower resolution JPEG file. Were you working with a RAW file or JPEG?

I also see what looks like sensor dust at the lower left.

You are right. I was processing Raw and playing with contrast and shadows to get the whales clearer. Weirdly when I used the same dome for my underwater pictures, I didnt see this banding. So I was wondering if this is the dome acting differently because of the sunlight as I was getting a lot of sunlight while freediving.

#9 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:38 PM

I shoot a lot, including tons of blue water whale images and I've never seen a reflection like that. Reflections come from sunlight hitting the front of the lens and reflecting in the dome port. You only ever see a section of the lens, not an entire circle. You'd have to shoot with the sun dead center in the frame for that to be possible. 

I'd agree with troporobo - my best guess is post processing artifacts. It happens with blue water images quite easily. 

Thats interesting that you say blue water pictures. Do you mean as general dive pictures or where you are on shallow depth and shooting whale sharks/whales?

#10 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:29 AM

Thats interesting that you say blue water pictures. Do you mean as general dive pictures or where you are on shallow depth and shooting whale sharks/whales?

I mean open ocean images - where you're shooting into the endless blue. I've seen some weird things happen, especially in post processing trying to add contrast. 

Yes generally from a shallow depth as I do most of this stuff freediving. 

Edited by Undertow, 25 September 2018 - 08:29 AM.

#11 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:10 PM

If you were shooting downwards there is no lens reflection in the dome
However have you considered light bleeding into the viewfinder? If your camera has an optical viewfinder and you are using the screen this can aggravate things together with banding from the sensor

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#12 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:19 PM

I mean open ocean images - where you're shooting into the endless blue. I've seen some weird things happen, especially in post processing trying to add contrast. 

Yes generally from a shallow depth as I do most of this stuff freediving. 

Yeah..I use the same setup in diving...but I haven't found that issue before. This is quite consistent in freediving/endless blue pictures with post processing....any tips to avoid it?

#13 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

If you were shooting downwards there is no lens reflection in the dome
However have you considered light bleeding into the viewfinder? If your camera has an optical viewfinder and you are using the screen this can aggravate things together with banding from the sensor

It does have an optical view finder..I dont have a blind for it..but it is inside the housing. So its not completely blocked...

#14 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:01 PM

It does have an optical view finder..I dont have a blind for it..but it is inside the housing. So its not completely blocked...

So that is definitely possible. What camera and lens did you use?

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#15 Larry C

Larry C

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:41 AM

I've found this type of banding when adjusting contrast to darken background after using a noise filter to eliminate large backscatter.  Some of the newer tools on PS work better without this kind of remnants.

D500 NA-D500, D300 MDX-D300, 2X YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 105mm AF-D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 800/1200

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#16 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:01 PM

I've found this type of banding when adjusting contrast to darken background after using a noise filter to eliminate large backscatter.  Some of the newer tools on PS work better without this kind of remnants.

If the banding is not there in the raw file the op is going too far with editing
But I thought the ring are already there?

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#17 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

So that is definitely possible. What camera and lens did you use?

I use a sony a6000  and kit 18-55mm with meikon housing

Thats interesting. I have PS creative cloud. What kind of tools that you suggesting? I can try and see...

#18 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

I use a sony a6000  and kit 18-55mm with meikon housing

So plastic and does the banding show also before editing the picture?

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#19 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:56 PM

So the op has plastic meikon housing and it does not have a dome just a push on wet adapter. The camera does not have an optical viewfinder but electronic

With that in mind are you at least shooting raw? Because jpeg will exhibit banding immediately as they are 8 bits as soon as you touch them

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#20 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

So the op has plastic meikon housing and it does not have a dome just a push on wet adapter. The camera does not have an optical viewfinder but electronic

With that in mind are you at least shooting raw? Because jpeg will exhibit banding immediately as they are 8 bits as soon as you touch them

I have the dome they sell with meikon body. I was shooting raw. Let me see if I can attach the link of the raw file so you gurus can take a look. Thanks again...really appreciate the help.

Edited by Abhi, 03 October 2018 - 05:58 PM.