• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Greenie

Greenie

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

Im going to be doing a fair amount of macro shooting and am looking for some recommendations on the best way to mount a focus light. Right now Im looking at the Kraken Sports Hydra 1000+ WSR which has a ys mount.

Im wondering if a more simple ys stem cold shoe mount would do the trick or if I should look at a 4 flex arm mounted to my cold shoe. (Or is there a third option Im missing)

Ill be using a Nauticam Olympus M10 Mark II housing with a the macro port for the Olympus 12-50 for my macro shooting. Ive got both the 12-50 and 60mm lenses.

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:37 PM

Using a YS mount on a short stem on the cold shoe works just fine for a focus light. If you plan to also use the light for video, either a flex arm or a ball mount with a clamp and stubby arm would give you more flexibility 

BTW, you don't need 1,000 lm for a focus light.  I have a 500 lm light that I use on 1/4 power for macro focus. If you dive at night or encounter really shy subjects like pygmy seahorses, a red light is very useful

#3 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

Yes, if you keep the illumination low mounting on the cold shoe works fine.  You don't need that much light.  I use a INON 350 lumen light with the supplied diffuser, powered by 3 x AA MiMH batteries, for which a YS mount is available.  Works great as a focus light.

Edited by ChrisRoss, 28 February 2018 - 05:20 PM.