• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

Just to keep you manufacturers on your toes, just wondering if any of you have projected shipping dates and also if you will be covering liveview/video mode?
:unsure:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

Never mind on your toes buddy, in this business nowaday's, it's hanging on by the fingernails that you have not chewed off already. Could they come out with more cameras yet? kidding aside we are working hard on it, (along with the Nikon D90 housing). Just started shipping the D700 in the last feew weeks, we are slim and trim up north :unsure: , by now you probably are thinking gee Jean get to the shipping date will ya, well... it's early next year, sorry I can't be more precise and yes my fleeting movement image making moderator, we will acces the Video.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#3 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:00 AM

..... we will acces the Video....

Hello Jean,

Does that mean we'll be able to press the buttons and see the LCD, or that video will be implemented in video-friendly usable/functional/ergonmic/balanced fashion?

I think accessing live view mode, buttoning-on, ae lock, exposure comp, af on are all doable with the camera in the hand, but positioning of the controls and LCD vision and handling will be the deal-maker/breaker when looking at the options and shopping for a high end 5d mkii housing.

I'm just a bit worried that in the rush to get the new housings out, you guys (all of you guys, not just Aquatica) might end up with housings that are not that functional in video terms. I'd prefer to wait and have it right.

now Jean, back to work!

darren

Edited by photovan, 16 December 2008 - 08:01 AM.

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#4 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

And Harald is talking February for Seacam too, they are taking orders.

#5 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

Ikelite lists early January on their web site. I have a couple amigos already chomping at the bit for one :)

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Wish list:
1. I want a port to connect an external video monitor.
2. Hood for the rear LCD or at least a reflection free material. Even if it's optional, manufacturers should consider making it available. Unlike stills which have the view finder, movie mode is ONLY through the LCD and present viewing windows have too much reflection in sunlight. It'll be a tight fit but well worth it.
3. Easy access to the mode dial. With the 5D2 having custom settings at C1-3, it'll be easier to switch Picture Styles that way vs through the menu.
4. The hardest request.... Balance and handling. DSLR rigs are usually the worst balanced rigs because the ports put all the buoyancy in the front and the housing body isn't heavy enough to offset it. With the CMOS sensor of the 5D2, avoiding wobble/skew is going to be important so housings have to be better balanced for easier handling. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:53 AM

Wish list:
1. I want a port to connect an external video monitor.
2. Hood for the rear LCD or at least a reflection free material. Even if it's optional, manufacturers should consider making it available. Unlike stills which have the view finder, movie mode is ONLY through the LCD and present viewing windows have too much reflection in sunlight. It'll be a tight fit but well worth it.
3. Easy access to the mode dial. With the 5D2 having custom settings at C1-3, it'll be easier to switch Picture Styles that way vs through the menu.
4. The hardest request.... Balance and handling. DSLR rigs are usually the worst balanced rigs because the ports put all the buoyancy in the front and the housing body isn't heavy enough to offset it. With the CMOS sensor of the 5D2, avoiding wobble/skew is going to be important so housings have to be better balanced for easier handling. :)

After a few days mucking around... BATTERIES.... consider making the housing capable of taking the battery grip for practical shooting UW.

#8 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:24 AM

After a few days mucking around... BATTERIES.... consider making the housing capable of taking the battery grip for practical shooting UW.

That's an interesting point. How long do batteries last using video? It may be a consideration in the longer term, assuming Nikon and Canon eventually add video to the pro cameras, to think about the larger housings.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#9 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

I'd rather have a small housing that didn't accommodate the vertical grip. They you could make a battery housing the bolts onto the housing base and can plug into the DC port on the camera.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#10 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

That's an interesting point. How long do batteries last using video? It may be a consideration in the longer term, assuming Nikon and Canon eventually add video to the pro cameras, to think about the larger housings.

I think the current generation of 1 series batteries will handle the extra demand OK.

#11 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

I'd rather have a small housing....

Cheers
James

Me too.... but something's gotta give....

I can already see two models coming, one more accommodating to video given what is really required. The modular idea has merit.

#12 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:55 AM

And Harald is talking February for Seacam too, they are taking orders.

Harald said they would be showing a production 5DMKII housing at the BOOT show, beginning January 17 in Dusseldorf. We expect to begin fulfilling orders in February.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#13 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:16 AM

Excellent news. I think we should have a predictions vs deliveries thread for each new housing. I know a friend of mine was rather disappointed between the promised delivery date of his D3 housing and when it actually arrived.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#14 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:20 AM

Harald said they would be showing a production 5DMKII housing at the BOOT show, beginning January 17 in Dusseldorf. We expect to begin fulfilling orders in February.

Stephen, any news on video mode ergonomics ... do you think it will just be like other DSLR housings, or something special...
darren

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:58 AM

Is it the same price as the 5D housing Stephen? :cry:

Drew

#16 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:39 AM

Is it the same price as the 5D housing Stephen? :lol:

Hi Drew - Small increment more, retail 3780 euros instead of 3595 euros for current 5D: http://www.seacamusa...ces-canon.shtml

Prices reflect new improvements to all future housings as were introduced with the D3 housing shown at DEMA, and so nicely photographed & described by Matt & Eric via link below:

http://wetpixel.com/...ma-2008-seacam/

Edited by StephenFrink, 31 December 2008 - 06:22 AM.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

A little birdie told me that Sea and Sea will start delivering mid-March. Arigato, Birdie san. :good:

Drew

#18 bertschb

bertschb

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

It looks like the Ike housing is available for the 5DII now but....

They don't make a port for the Canon 16-35 II lens! I was ready to get a new housing and port for my 5DII but now I don't know what to do. I'm not interested in buying more lenses right now. The Ike web site says the 16-35II lens diameter is "too large to operate in port system".

Time to do more research.....

#19 Ghostpipe

Ghostpipe

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Underwater Photography, Mountainbiking

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

Harald said they would be showing a production 5DMKII housing at the BOOT show, beginning January 17 in Dusseldorf...

I can confirm that. Been on the BOOT show last Saturday and had a chat with Harald and Kurt. I was wondering if the MKII would fit in my current 5D housing (which does not work that easy). Any way, I really like the new locks, since I have jammed my fingers several times (I guess I gotta learn to handle these better...).
Cheers,
EOS 5D / Secam Housing + Superdome / 2xSeaflash 150 Digital / EF 15 Fisheye / EF 16-35 USM II / EF 24-70 USM / EF 100 2.8 Macro

#20 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

I can confirm that. Been on the BOOT show last Saturday and had a chat with Harald and Kurt. I was wondering if the MKII would fit in my current 5D housing (which does not work that easy). Any way, I really like the new locks, since I have jammed my fingers several times (I guess I gotta learn to handle these better...).
Cheers,

Any pics anywhere of the 5dmkii housing.. particularly the back... can you tell us where the buttons for Live View, AF on, picture styles, and button on are? Have they made an attempt to shade/hood the LCD?
darren