2 replies to this topic

#1 landlocked

landlocked

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hello

Looking for some insight into understanding how a reflective prism might aid in the use of fiber optics with strobes. I searched for older posts on this forum as well as a google search. The only thing I found was that Nauticam offers or offered a reflective prism for flash trigger as well as an optical flash trigger. Any help understanding the differences between the two and how these work would be appreciated.

Don

#2 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

Nauticam makes an optical trigger that sits on the hotshot and just fires the flash straight ahead. Since it doesn't have little LEDs that connect right to the optical bulkheads, you need to use the prism to redirect that straight ahead light, upward. The prism reflects the light up into the bulkheads. If you use a trigger that has the little LEDS you need to remove the prism and put the LEDs directly into the bulkheads. I have a Nauticam housing, but I'm using the UWTechnics TTL trigger so I removed the prism.

If you download the user's manual here, it will tell you about removing the prism http://uwtechnics.co...housings-detail

#3 landlocked

landlocked

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

Johnny Quest. Thank you for the useful information on this.