Photo
- - - - -

Can you use Nauticam silicone on Sea&Sea blue o-ring?

silicone Nauticam Sea&Sea Zen compatibility o-ring

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:48 AM

I recently purchased a Zen dp-100-NT port second hand to use on my Nauticam housing. It came with a Sea&Sea blue o-ring, but no silicone. Is it safe to use Nauticam silicone on the o-ring or does it need to be Sea&Sea silicone?

As my housing is coming in from maintenance today, I'd really love to take the Zen for a dive tomorrow, but I am scared of using he wrong grease and possibly causing a flood.

Anyone with experience on this?

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1818 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:37 AM

Yes you can use the Nauticam lube (either tribo or christolube, I am too lazy to run it through the lab). What I do is for trips is buy a contact lens case (the screw lid ones) and put Tribolube 77 in one side and Tribolube 66 in the other side and am covered for both sliding and stationary orings of any kind.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

Thank you, Bill for your super fast and informative reply!

Edited by Marjo, 19 June 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#4 Incident

Incident

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:59 AM

Marjo,

The o-ring on the Zen port is blue (light), but it is not the same blue (dark) as the o-rings from Sea & Sea.

Before you put Sea & Sea silicone on it I would check to make sure it is compatible. If someone replaced the Zen o-ring with a Sea & sea o-ring...then I suppose you would have no problem. Just wanted to point out that Zen and Sea & Sea o-rings appear to be different.

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1818 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

I think she was going to use the Nauticam grease which would be no issue.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 Cwee

Cwee

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Conservation

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

Grease is grease: Use it!

#7 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1818 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

Not so much. There are silicone greases and fluorosilicone greases and each has specific uses. For example Silicone grease (the stuff in the big trident tub) can swell silicone o-rings and lead to troubles.  That is why we keep recommending either the Tribolube or Christolube (or Krytox if you can find the right one) since they are good for all types of o-rings.

Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#8 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

To complement: some zen domes had been sold with sea & sea dark blue orings which are not good with nauti grease. In fact i've asked after buying a used zen dome, and been told by i think zen themselves to buy their newly produced light blue orings which are for sure compatible with nauticam gear. I did son 1 year ago and didn't have any issue.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

#9 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1818 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

that is surprising, I am quite sure that S&S o-rings will be fine with the Nauticam grease, of course Zen might be trying to hedge against a flood (but not from the wrong grease)

Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#10 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:32 AM

that is surprising, I am quite sure that S&S o-rings will be fine with the Nauticam grease, of course Zen might be trying to hedge against a flood (but not from the wrong grease)
Bill

Sorry memory confusion: i didn't get this reply from Zen but from Reef Photo, and it didn't seem like a black&white answer but more a word of caution:

Quoting Reef:
Nauticam grease is safe on the new Zen lighter blue o-rings, but I would recommend using the true Sea & Sea grease on the dark blue o-rings.

#11 diggy

diggy

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

This may be of some help :  http://wetpixel.com/...ggy#entry351153

Diggy

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: silicone, Nauticam, Sea&Sea, Zen, compatibility, o-ring