6 replies to this topic

#1 rollin

rollin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Aquatic ecology, wildlife photography

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

I want to build an underwater motorized timelaps slider. Has anyone experience with this kind of project?
Rollin

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1818 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

Depends on what you are really trying to do. If it were me rather than make a complex housing for a motor I would get an Aluminum (aluminium for the rest of the world) slider and build an elastic/spring driven gear system from nylon parts. No need to make anything waterproof.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 rollin

rollin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:52 AM

Thank you for your ideas. I've been thinking about that route as well, but it sounds easier than it really is. I've been looking the net all over for a plastic driven gear with a reliable escapement. It is not that easy to build your own. Propulsion is no problem, an elastic band can do the trick. It is the escapement that is hard.
Waterproofing an engine is not that hard, one could buy a cheap Meikon housing which has waterproof shafts. A small engine and a battery are enough to take a gopro some feet along the sea floor I guess.

I already have a alumin(i)um slider, which I use without propulsion, so that suggestion works. ;-)

#4 johnohuk

johnohuk

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:43 AM

Model submarines uses motorised gears/servos, maybe they could be re-purposed?  http://www.rc-sub-wo...aspx?tp=r&rid=8

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1818 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:28 PM

The cheapest and best escapements might be from music boxes (constant rate drive). Getting the Meikon housing to work might be harder than you think.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 rollin

rollin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

Why do you think the Meikon option is hard? I can control a stepper motor with a small arduino for example.

A music box escapement is not salt water resistant, and has to be built in a waterproof housing as well. But it is an interesting route, and also the model submarine solution. Thank you for that.

#7 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1818 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:43 PM

Getting the bits into and out of the Meikon could be a bit tricky. I was thinking of a very simple nylon gear escapement with a stainless steel spring. No housing needed. There are even lego ones.

BVA

Bill
www.blueviews.net