23 replies to this topic

#21 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:40 AM

Thank you Luftu,

I couldn't find the original vlog topic at first. Then with google I found it: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=56300

ATM I cannot edit 4K because my main machine is under total rework.

Thanks again 

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#22 Joerg B

Joerg B

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:26 AM

Thanks Peterbkk and Scubabob for explaining your settings with the GH4.

I come from photo (www.joergblessing.com) and switched to the GH4 to learn video as well.

I read up as much as I found online, but am still struggling with producing good footage.

Would be supernice if anyone could help with a few questions:

• Peterbkk states f2.8 as starting point for shooting in M mode. I learned that with video I should double framerate to get my shutter speed (trying 30p and 60p for now). So I can only adjust ISO and Aperture, right? On photo I start off for wide-angle on f8 to get enough depth of field. My 7-14mm has only f4 but isn't that difficult to get things in focus. especially with a lens at f2.8 ???
  • To keep shutter speed/framerate ratio, isn't it useful to use shutter angle (set to180°) instead of shutter speed, so the ratio always sticks. (Under "SS / Gain Operation" in video menu) even when changing framerate??
  • Which metering mode works good for video underwater? Center weighted? Of course this only relevant when we use S or A video mode.
  • ​I use backbutton focus as described by Scubabob quite happily in my Nauticam housing as I´m used to it for photo. Is it generally best to just prefocus or does CAF or even tracking work well with fast moving animals like mantas etc..???
  • Magic Filter and custom WB with slate underwater or more success with Peterbkk´s method ??

Thanks to anyone who finds the time to answer some of those questions or for any other GH4 video tips!!

Cheers!

Joerg

#23 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:28 AM

You don’t need to run f8 on m43 cameras. That equal to f16 on FF in terms of DoF.

f5.6 is enough I find :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#24 Joerg B

Joerg B

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

Hahah! Thanks Richard, I photograph since years on m43 cameras and actually never realised that! Just read it up an yes you are right act DOF! Thanks!