• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

Attached a clip of our diving trip to Triton Bay in January 2018.   Dolphins, Whale-sharks, Mobulas, huge schools of fish, incredible soft corals and good macro.

For those interested, I used the following lenses:

Panasonic 12mm Summilux

Panaaonic 7-14mm

Panasonic 12-35mm

Olympus 12-50mm (for Macro)

Color corrected and edited with Davinci Resolve 14

I hope you enjoy. 

Edited by bubffm, 23 February 2018 - 08:39 AM.

#2 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

Really nice work, bubffm. Incredible biodiversity and a beautiful location. Looks like the trip of a lifetime!

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#3 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:39 AM

Really nice bubffm, kept me watching all the 11:24 minutes.

The whalesharks shots are incredible!!!

Mind sharing the camera settings?

Thanks!

#4 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:53 AM

thanks. I know it got a bit long. Usually trying to keep my clips around 5min. Was getting carried away...  :pardon:

I was playing around quite a bit with settings.  My favourite remains Cinelike-D with 60p 8bit 150mbps.  

When in 30p with 400mbps all-intra, I played with both VLOG and HLG. HLG is getting the white balance amazingly well, but the footage looks a bit "thin".  VLOG is much richer and in future I'll try to play with this a bit more. A real pig to expose correctly and shame it really only works well in 10bit, so cant be used when shooting 60p. But Cinelike-D definitely is a good alternative.

I also noticed that the Youtube version looks quite a bit 'duller' and the drohne shots got a green-tint then what I get playing the local file on my OLED TV. Not sure whether its compression or just not the best export settings in Davinci Resolve.  It was my first project I did start-to-end in Davinci, so still learning...

I'll play around a bit more and maybe a slightly improved version goes up on Vimeo :-)

#5 SWink

SWink

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

I also noticed that the Youtube version looks quite a bit 'duller' and the drohne shots got a green-tint then what I get playing the local file on my OLED TV. Not sure whether its compression or just not the best export settings in Davinci Resolve.  It was my first project I did start-to-end in Davinci, so still learning...

I have had the same problem. There isn't much you can do about YouTube compression but I have noticed that if you set your data levels to auto in the deliver page (Advanced settings dropdown) when exporting H264 it appears to compress the video levels down to 16-235 so I now always set the data levels to Full so as  to maintain 0-255. I don't know if YouTube knocks the levels back down again during processing but I do notice a more punchier looking output at full data levels.

Cheers

Steve

My Video: Panasonic GH4, Nauticam Housing, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 45mm, & Olypmus 14-42mm, 12-50mm 60mm. Archon W42VR x 2, Inon LF800-N
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube..../SteveWinkworth

#6 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the hint, Steve.  

Thats actually one of the settings I was scratching my head on. Lots of discussions in various forums as to what to use in which situation.  I was using "auto", but I'll give "full" a try.  Will do some minor color fixes and upload another version to Vimeo with that modified setting.

Burkhard

Edited by bubffm, 25 February 2018 - 02:02 AM.

#7 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:20 AM

Spectacular, and I agree that the whale shark footage is magnificent.  Thanks!

Edited by SwiftFF5, 26 February 2018 - 05:21 AM.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#8 Tita

Tita

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

So beautiful! We just returned from West Papua and the diving was incredible! Thanks for sharing your video.  :notworthy:

#9 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

Thanks, Tita

#10 Rockfish 770

Rockfish 770

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

REally nice video!!! Looks like you also had some good luck with visibility on some of the days, beautiful Whale shark footage! What type of port and diopter did you use with the 12-50mm lens??

#11 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:32 PM

REally nice video!!! Looks like you also had some good luck with visibility on some of the days, beautiful Whale shark footage! What type of port and diopter did you use with the 12-50mm lens??

Hi Rockfish. Thanks for your comments. Visibility was good on a few dives, but not so great on most... The dolphins I had to film with dark sky and pouring rain, which shows in the footage unfortunatly... Had more luck with the whale-sharks :-)

I used the Nauticam port for the 12-50 lens, some close makro with their CMC-2 diopter.

Cheers

#12 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, photography, motorcycling, current events, progressive politics, science, medicine, ADA issues, service dogs.

Posted Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Cool stuff! Well done!

#13 Tita

Tita

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Thank you for sharing. Love it, love it, love it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Panasonic GH5, Triton Bay, Nauticam GH5