• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

I mistakenly downloaded too many raw files on my LaCie 500 GB external hard drive and have exceeded its capacity with large D800 files (darn mega files). Now when I plug the hard drive into my MacBook Pro it does not show up on my desktop and I cannot access my raw files in lightroom. The external hard drive is formatted in Mac OS extended. I have tried disc utility to verify the disk, but cannot. I am thinking if I could just delete the last download the drive would be ok.

What should I do?????Posted Image

Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#2 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've done that and it did not help.

#4 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Pray!
uncool OS rendering a disk unusable if too much data is loaded on it .... ??? !!!
Usually a OS should NO load too much data and especially NOT kill the disk because of that, not even Mac OS.
I don't understand Mac OS but i belive that the disk just died because of the large/long writing on it.
You may try to connect it to a PC or Linux PC to see if the disk become readable, bt i fear it won't ... :-(
Las chance will be a data recovery service, but prepare for a hefty bill.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#5 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I am crying for you. Oh no!!!!

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

That really sucks. Hopefully it will be a warning to others at least, Elmer.

I fear that we'll be seeing a few "D800 makes a mess of my laptop/hard drive" this year.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#7 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2057 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

A bit odd: how did you write to the drive? I note that the LaCie software allows you to partition the drive to a shared section and an unshared one. Have you set up your hard drive in that way? If so, which partition is your data in?

#8 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

A bit odd: how did you write to the drive? I note that the LaCie software allows you to partition the drive to a shared section and an unshared one. Have you set up your hard drive in that way? If so, which partition is your data in?

The external drive is not partitioned, it is formatted in OS extended. I guess I am spoiled with Mac's, thought it would warn me that there was not enough disc space. Will try to hook it up to a PC and see if I can delete the last entry.

#9 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1461 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

I have tried to reproduce your results and with either a LaCie or any other external drive that I have (4 types) I can not exceed the disk size with Mountain Lion or Lion. I just get the "not enough space" error message.
I would get a copy of drive genius and see if you can take a look at the drive with that software.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#10 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

How did you download the files? Using the same Mac Book Pro? I have never seen this problem, but I guess whatever the reason, you could do it by overloading with any file, not just D800 files. Have you tried seeing if the drive will mount on other Macs?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#11 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Surely a data recovery company will be able to help? I 'lost' some important files on an external drive which where easily recovered at modest cost.

Alternatively, jump ship and benefit from the lesser file sizes of the 5D3, Ooops, I just strayed into the Nikon v Canon area. I'll get my coat...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#12 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Alternatively, jump ship and benefit from the lesser file sizes of the 5D3, Ooops, I just strayed into the Nikon v Canon area. I'll get my coat...

He, he - and give up all that quality and dynamic range? Posted Image
But seriously what does the size of the file have to do with the problem. Any drive will eventually fill up with any size file if there are enough of them, of course fewer files required - but it seems this is a drive or software problem not related to the size of the files.

Edited by loftus, 12 January 2013 - 09:55 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

Elmer, as Bill says, your drive is probably the problem and not the OS, especially if it's not mounting. If you are lucky, the volume directory is damaged and programs like Disk Warrior or Techtool Pro may rescue it.
If you are unlucky and it's a physical problem, then a data recovery service may be your only hope. You can also try Data Rescue, which searches sector by sector for files. Takes a while though and it isn't always successful. Good luck.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#14 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I thank everyone for their suggestions. I tried another Mac, no go, the drive did not show up on the desk top and disc utility could not verify the disc. Will next try to hook it up to a PC, but I am sure you are right, the disc got corrupted somehow. If the PC does not work I will send it a Mac geek for a diagnosis and hopefully a good prognosis. Yuk, I hate it when one of my toys breaks!!!