Photo
- - - - -

Nauticam EM-1 MkII housing and 12-40mm f2.8 install from back.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:30 AM

I just picked up my new Nauticam housing for the EM-1 MkII and been playing around with it. One thing I noticed is it seems to have more clearance around the port openingwith different configurations of levers to control the front buttons.

So I tried putting in the camera/12-40mm f2.8 from the rear and found I could install the camera/lens/zoom gear from the back of the housing with the Zen 170mm dome. With my previous EM5-MkII nauticam the lens would not fit as has been commonly reported on here and other forums and required installation of the lens from the front.

A nice additional feature I have not seen reported previously.

Edited by ChrisRoss, 15 October 2017 - 12:31 AM.

#2 Piotr

Piotr

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:52 AM

Hi Chris, I have E-M5II in Nauticam housing and I'm able to install the camera with lens attached (12-40).

#3 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

Same as Poitr is writing:

EM-5II, 12-40 Pro with Nauticam housing plus Zen DP-170-N120 and Nauticam 60mm N85-N120 adapter. No problem to insert camera, lens plus Zoomgear from behind, when port is installed...

Wolfgang

#4 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

I have the N85 Zen dome (no 85-120 adapter which may be the difference) and I couldn't do it with my EM5-II housing.  I've seen a few posts where they mention the need to attach the lens from the front and place the dome over it.  Such as this one: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=53558

#5 Piotr

Piotr

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:28 AM

I have the same port (Zen N85 170) and I'm aware of these posts. I red them before getting my setup, and was suprised afterwards.

#6 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:39 AM

Interesting, wondering if they have slightly modified the housing, the thing that seems to interfere on my housing is the lever on the RHS looking from back that controls the DOF preview button and possibly the lens release lever, but the interference is very minor, perhaps there is some tolerance on positioning of the levers.

In any case it's worth advertising as it is sometimes referred to as a reason not to use the 12-40 in a Nauitcam housing.  The fit in the EM-1 MkII is quite easy.

#7 Piotr

Piotr

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:39 AM

I just tried to install camera again, and I think I found an answer...

There is something that needs to be done before installing camera and my guess is not everyone is aware of that.

There is a note in the case manual: "If installing the camera with lens and gear attached, first pull out the zoom/focus knob and sit on the shallower groove as shown."

Without that step, zoom gear interferes with internal gear of the case.

#8 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Yep I pull out the gear whether mounting from back or front, but the other levers get in the way as well.

#9 Piotr

Piotr

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:42 PM

The only thing I can see, when looking into the port opening of the housing, is a small zoom gear, which would disappear when pulled out. There is no any other gear or lever. Not sure if you still have the case to be able to check that.