• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

When all my new WWL and bayonet stuff arrived. I released I had no where to put the CMC, unless I added another non floaty arm. Not ideal.

More 3D design and printing later, I have this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454777486.794437.jpg

You need the arm holder. But remove the 6 screws and using this part you can zip tie the holder on to one of the 60mm diameter arms, like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454777647.063398.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454777663.932167.jpg

I'm using my spare 67mm screw in holder for prototyping, but it's the same screw layout.

Need to refine the hole place. Two offset a little. But it's done.

Will link to the finished downloadable file. Once I've fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:36 PM

Well it's been a few weeks and many trail printing later. But it's finished.

Learned that printing at different orientations produces better prints.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456558117.336626.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456558138.420773.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456558163.756285.jpg

The hardest part was getting the mounting holes in the right place, which was weird as I used polygons to get it all aligned. In the end it was just a trail and error on adjusting by hand.

The file is on www.thingiverse.com/thing:1374378

If you want one printed. Let me know.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#3 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2178 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:13 AM

Wow, that's amazing, Richard. Well done!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:18 AM

Very nice. 

These machines really fascinate me, but I don't think that I have enough projects to justify purchasing one and learning all the tricks.  I wonder if there's room for a niche business making "one off" projects using these?

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:41 PM

Thanks guys,

SwiftFF5 I think you have hit the nail on the head on why these haven't exploded into people's homes as predicted.

I've probably printed 4 or 5 final things that work as I want in the 12+ months I've had it - not a high yield!

They are slow to print and probably 90% of your prints are incorrect so you have to keep reprinting until it's right. It's fun though.

There is a guy in the UK at deepshots.co.uk who sells these sort of niche things and the quality of his stuff is pretty good! (I think he has a Ultimaker printer which is better than mine)

But I'm happy to give away the 3D designs and print stuff if someone wants something. We are a small bunch, underwater photographers. So happy to share.

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#6 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:21 AM

Well, if you are interested, or your friend is interested (there may also be places in the US that do this sort of thing, I hadn't actually thought of it until now), what I am currently looking for is a bungee mount for my backup wrist computer like this:

https://www.divegear...for-dg03-w-cord

No-one seems to make one for my Oceanic computer, though.  It would seem as if a 3D printed version might be the answer.

Edited by SwiftFF5, 02 March 2016 - 04:22 AM.

Public Safety Diver

#7 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:48 PM

Well, if you are interested, or your friend is interested (there may also be places in the US that do this sort of thing, I hadn't actually thought of it until now), what I am currently looking for is a bungee mount for my backup wrist computer like this:

No-one seems to make one for my Oceanic computer, though.  It would seem as if a 3D printed version might be the answer.

That DSS bungee mount is flexible, made of what feels like a silicon rubber material. Not the kind of thing one prints at home, I don't think.

Edited by tursiops, 02 March 2016 - 03:49 PM.

#8 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

u looking for this? http://www.piranhadi...ngee-Mounts-120 fyi, i googled the link.

Edited by marcw, 02 March 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#9 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:10 AM

u looking for this? http://www.piranhadi...ngee-Mounts-120 fyi, i googled the link.

Cool, thanks.  I had not run across that company before.  I'll look into it.  Thanks for the help.

Public Safety Diver

#10 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:17 AM

That DSS bungee mount is flexible, made of what feels like a silicon rubber material. Not the kind of thing one prints at home, I don't think.

Oh, before I forget, while looking into commercial sources, I found that Shapeways has a flexible or elastic sort of material for 3D printing.  Its not clear if it would be flexible enough, though.

http://www.shapeways...-plastic?li=nav

Public Safety Diver

#11 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:36 AM

marcw - thanks for the link to Pirhana manufacturing.  I contacted them, got an email back very, very quickly even though it was on the weekend.  I have purchased a bungee mount from them.  If the quality of the mount is as good as their customer service, I'll be very happy.

Public Safety Diver

#12 insomniac

insomniac

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

Just had a set printed on a Form 2 printer last night in their tough resin... Looks like they came out pretty good! Thanks for doing this, I'll let you know how it works....

image003.png

#13 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:13 AM

whoa!!! They look amazing.

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#14 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

Very nice. 

These machines really fascinate me, but I don't think that I have enough projects to justify purchasing one and learning all the tricks.  I wonder if there's room for a niche business making "one off" projects using these?

FYI, if you look around there are now online shops that will print your items for you.  Not to bad of a price, but if your want to print, tweek, print again, it will get pricy.

#15 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

Just had Shapeways print one for me. Just got it. Nice! About $19 shipped.

Thanks, @theTrickster!

Edited by tursiops, 29 December 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#16 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Just had Shapeways print one for me. Just got it. Nice! About $19 shipped.

Thanks, @theTrickster!

Well, I finally got around to mounting the printed holder to my float arm.

Bummer, I have the bigger float arms (90mm), not the 60mm arms the holder is designed for. I missed that little detail in my excitment about the concept.

Worse, Nauticam seems to have discontinued their carbon fiber float arms, so I'm not even sure I'll be able to buy one of the 60mm versions.

#17 bnf-austin

bnf-austin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:11 AM

You may want to look at the Hollis DG03 bungee mount. It may well fit your oceanic computer, since they are made by the same manufacturer and they tweak the firmware and trim colors between the various "brands" to differentiate them.

#18 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:24 AM

You may want to look at the Hollis DG03 bungee mount. It may well fit your oceanic computer, since they are made by the same manufacturer and they tweak the firmware and trim colors between the various "brands" to differentiate them.

Thanks.   I was actually able to find what I needed at www.piranhadivemfg.com Someone here gave me a tip to look at them (thanks, whoever you are, I'm sorry but I forgot who it was).  They were great to deal with, and had exactly what I needed.

Public Safety Diver

#19 bnf-austin

bnf-austin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:46 AM

Thanks.   I was actually able to find what I needed at www.piranhadivemfg.com Someone here gave me a tip to look at them (thanks, whoever you are, I'm sorry but I forgot who it was).  They were great to deal with, and had exactly what I needed.

Glad to hear it. I bought several items from Piranha Dive over the years. Always had a good experience.

#20 tapitt

tapitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:31 AM

Hi guy

I know this post was long time ago but i just come here to say thank you to "Thetricker" the owner of this post your works so amazing!!!

I downloaded your file and print it to use with my carbon fibre float arm. Actually my float arms diameter is 80 mm. so i have to fix it to suite them.

Then i post my file here if someone who owned 80 mm. float.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Also here are the pics when assembly on my carbon fibre float arms.

21469.jpg

21470.jpg

21471.jpg

21473.jpg