Panasonic LX100 M2 announced

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:25 AM

A lot of review to go through:
https://www.43rumors...ally-announced/

Still waiting and see if Nauticam can confirm the existing housing is compatible.

There is no 60 fps, no 5-axis IS, the only attractive change is the higher megapixel and using the color rendering from GH5.

It won't be an upgrade for me.

#2 Basil

Basil

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

I posted on this in the photo gear forum. I also went to the "contact us" section of the Nauticam website and asked the same question (no response yet).  I hope that my existing Nauticam housing will fit the LX100II (the GH4 fit into the Nauticam GH3 housing, with a small conversion kit that Nauticam sold, so it's not unprecedented).  If it fits, I'll probably upgrade, because I would like better quality JPGs, and a bit more resolution.  The touchscreen would be really nice too, though not relevant underwater.  But if it doesn't fit, I'll keep what I have -- I love my little LX100 underwater, and don't want to go through the hassle and expense of an upgrade -- at least not for many more years.

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

Yes, the review I read so far say the M2 upgrade is for photographers. I shot video so the upgrade doesn't benefit me much. So I'm still going to keep an eye on the Black Magic Cinema 4K, or GH6. GH6 could be announce late next year, before 2020 Olympic.

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:53 PM

Yes, the review I read so far say the M2 upgrade is for photographers. I shot video so the upgrade doesn't benefit me much. So I'm still going to keep an eye on the Black Magic Cinema 4K, or GH6. GH6 could be announce late next year, before 2020 Olympic.

The BMPCC is the same sensor of the GH5s and has no stabiliser
In my view the GH5 somehow saturates the need of underwater video. You have 10bit capture on dual SD slots at 400 mbps. Other than signal noise ratio I see no major weaknesses of this camera and already 99% of users do not own computer hardware to grade it properly. The only issue that would be nice to address is a larger screen 5” with at least 600 nits. However I don’t think Panasonic will see a benefit in doing that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 Basil

Basil

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:01 AM

I got an email from Nauticam that they are releasing conversion kit to allow the NAU-LX100 to work with the LX-100II, and posted about it in the photo gear forum.  It is a relatively minor part needed to convert the LX100 housing to an LX100II housing.  

#6 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:52 AM

That's good, I wonder if the part is easy enough to add/remove on the field so that the user can use LX100 and LX100 II if they need to switch out quickly.

#7 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:33 AM

That's good, I wonder if the part is easy enough to add/remove on the field so that the user can use LX100 and LX100 II if they need to switch out quickly.

Why would you want to do that? Only reason I can imagine is as a backup solution? As far as I know the LX100II is better in every way compared to the LX100.

#8 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

Why would you want to do that? Only reason I can imagine is as a backup solution? As far as I know the LX100II is better in every way compared to the LX100.

May be you flooded the LX100 II and you have your old LX100 Mark 1 as back up, so now you need to configure the housing to take the old Mark 1? If the part require the user to send the housing to Nauticam repair shop to install then it would be an issue.

Edited by kc_moses, 07 September 2018 - 09:43 AM.

#9 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:14 AM

I guess, but it's a fringe case.