• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JKist3

JKist3

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Housing manufacturers recommend sending your housing in for an overhaul service every one to two years.  Is this something people typically do? I called up one of the well known underwater photography stores and the guy there said it was pretty much unnecessary, just to worry about the main o-ring and only send it in if you notice something weird.  I'm curious what others think of this.  How often do you all send in housings for service?

#2 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

Given the disaster that is shipping anything from Canada to USA and back again, i would be loathe to send a housing every two years for "routine" check-up.

#3 TimG

TimG

Giant Squid

• 1764 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

I've had several housings and, must admit, none of them have ever been serviced including one that did well over 500 dives. Never had a problem.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 scuba_d

scuba_d

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:42 AM

I've had several housings and, must admit, none of them have ever been serviced including one that did well over 500 dives. Never had a problem. 

But all of them were Subal!?  :)

#5 TimG

TimG

Giant Squid

• 1764 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

Indeed they were! :-)))

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 giffenk

giffenk

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Housing manufacturers recommend sending your housing in for an overhaul service every one to two years.  Is this something people typically do? I called up one of the well known underwater photography stores and the guy there said it was pretty much unnecessary, just to worry about the main o-ring and only send it in if you notice something weird.  I'm curious what others think of this.  How often do you all send in housings for service?

this is kind of like getting your regs serviced annually?

if you take care of your gear and inspect it regularly then you can decide when servicing is required. I have owned amphibico housings, s&s housings, canon housings and now an elcheapo meikon housing. i have never had one serviced and never had any issues.

my gear always goes through an extended soak after every salt water vacation trip. i think the easiest way to screw up a housing is to let salt dry in the push button controls. proper rinse and soak will prevent this.

#7 errbrr

errbrr

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:21 PM

While I tend to subscribe to the "if it's not broken, don't mess with it" philosophy, I serviced my own by putting the deep springs on my Aquatica housing after about 3 years of ownership. There was some grime on the o-rings behind each button and I felt better for having cleaned and changed them to less-squashed ones. I took the housing for a camera-free dive after the o-ring change to make sure all was well before submerging the camera again. 

You'd want to have some spare c-clips on hand too as some of them go "ping" and disappear during removal.

If you have to mail the housing to get it serviced, I'd say the risk of it getting lost or damaged in transit is greater than the benefit of annual servicing.

#8 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

While I tend to subscribe to the "if it's not broken, don't mess with it" philosophy, I serviced my own by putting the deep springs on my Aquatica housing after about 3 years of ownership. There was some grime on the o-rings behind each button and I felt better for having cleaned and changed them to less-squashed ones. I took the housing for a camera-free dive after the o-ring change to make sure all was well before submerging the camera again. 

You'd want to have some spare c-clips on hand too as some of them go "ping" and disappear during removal.

If you have to mail the housing to get it serviced, I'd say the risk of it getting lost or damaged in transit is greater than the benefit of annual servicing.

I agree totally, especially on your last comment (transit).

Very recently, either Miami airport or Richmond (Canada) airport tore open a package and stole the Nauticam part inside. It was really wedged in the bubble envelope, and the tear was clearly a finger tear, so it was definitely a theft.

I would be very reluctant to send anything of value out these days. You can't trust the post, and the fees from couriers are just a bad joke. Between "brokerage fees" and arbitrary (and wrong) duties on cross-border goods, it's just not worth sending stuff to the USA anymore.

#9 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1774 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

FWIW, Seacam recommend 300 dives as far as I can remember. That said if housings are used heavily in chlorinated water (swimming pools) then they need short service intervals as the chlorine may damage nitrile 'O' rings (I've seen an 'O' ring disintegrated after very, very, very extensive pool use - fortunately the second kept the housing dry and the control itself became progressively stiffer forcing the issue of servicing. And I do know of a friend's housing which I suspect may well have done over 1000 dives before factory servicing!

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife