#1 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:15 AM

Hi all,

As the title says.
Has someone some original underwater clip from a GH4 shot at high ISO to share?

I mean ISO 1000 or 1250 at least.

Thank you in advance

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#2 dreifish

dreifish

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

Eh.. things already start to get quite noisy at ISO 800 with significant white balance adjustments at depth.

The reef shark footage below was shot at ISO800 with custom white balance off my palm at 20-25m:

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:56 PM

Eh.. things already start to get quite noisy at ISO 800 with significant white balance adjustments at depth.

This really demonstrate how much these things are subjective.  :lol2:  It's perfect to my eyes.

For my type of diving I never worked at less than ISO 1000 with my old GH2 and GH3. I know they are noisy but when you are there you have to bite the bullet.

I was curious to understand if there is a real improvement with the now obsolete GH4 and I could serenely work at ISO 1250.  :mocking:

Thank you for your example.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#4 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:21 AM

I'll see if I can find my ISO tests I did (underwater) a while ago.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5V, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

www.richardwait.com / Custom 3D Designed UW Parts

#5 dreifish

dreifish

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:34 AM

This really demonstrate how much these things are subjective.  :lol2:  It's perfect to my eyes.

For my type of diving I never worked at less than ISO 1000 with my old GH2 and GH3. I know they are noisy but when you are there you have to bite the bullet.

I was curious to understand if there is a real improvement with the now obsolete GH4 and I could serenely work at ISO 1250.  :mocking:

Thank you for your example.

I think it depends on what size you're viewing the footage in -- and I suggest downloading the original rather than looking at the Vimeo stream, as the Vimeo compression may be smoothing out some of the noise. On a phone or laptop display, the noise might not be obvious, but once blown up to HDTV size, it's pretty obvious (to me anyway). 

Also, add color correction to try to adjust the purple water column for example, and the noise becomes considerably worse. That can be counteracted to some extent by using noise reduction in post, of course.

#6 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hi all,

As the title says.
Has someone some original underwater clip from a GH4 shot at high ISO to share?

I mean ISO 1000 or 1250 at least.

Thank you in advance

I have quite a bit of high iso footage I can send you. PM me your email address and I will send some via wetransfer. From looking at your previous footage, you tend to shoot primarily wide angle, with video lights on the foreground/subject, correct? You won't get nearly as much noise with this kind of shooting. The background will be much more blue, as it is with the GH3 and GH3, but will be a much cleaner image then trying to shoot with all ambient, or requiring the camera to shift WB across the entire image.

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#7 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

Sorry Davide, looked through all my FCPX Projects I can't find the dive I did looking at all the ISOs and Colour Profiles. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5V, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

www.richardwait.com / Custom 3D Designed UW Parts

#8 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:12 AM

I have quite a bit of high iso footage I can send you. PM me your email address and I will send some via wetransfer. From looking at your previous footage, you tend to shoot primarily wide angle, with video lights on the foreground/subject, correct? You won't get nearly as much noise with this kind of shooting. The background will be much more blue, as it is with the GH3 and GH3, but will be a much cleaner image then trying to shoot with all ambient, or requiring the camera to shift WB across the entire image.

Really thank you. You have a PM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panasonic, gh4, clip