• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

I currently use the Olympsu 14-42EZ lens in a 29mm port with the GH5. Overall, I think the quality is nice, but I wonder if one of the other kit lenses might not produce better results?

I recently had to use the Panasonic 15mmF1.7 prime (in the same port), and noticed that the image quality was indeed improved, especially the corners, which were sharp even at F2.0. So clearly the lens you have behind the WWL-1 makes a difference.

What's the best standard zoom lens in terms of quality that can be used with the WWL-1? I assume the Panasonic 12-35F2.8, Olympus 12-40F2.8 or the Panasonic 12-60F2.8-F4 wouldn't work, so we're left with one of the kit lenses?

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:11 PM

I’ve got a copy of:

Lumix:
14-42mm MkI
14-42mm PZ
14-42mm MKII
12-25mm (now sold)
12-60mm f2.8-4 Leica
15mm f1.7

The 15mm is the sharpest and obviously the fastest. But looses the OIS. But there is something nice about the image.

The MKii for me is sharpest standard zoom, probably just as sharp as my previous 12-35mm and it’s hard to see any real difference with the Leica 12-60mm at the same apertures. However it took me 3 copies to get a good one and in the end I got a proper retail copy with metal mount not the plastic kit version. The optics are the same, but needed to option to take back, not buy of eBay.

Really happy with the 14-42mm MKii and the WWL-1 combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

I’ve got a copy of:

Lumix:
14-42mm MkI
14-42mm PZ
14-42mm MKII
12-25mm (now sold)
12-60mm f2.8-4 Leica
15mm f1.7

The 15mm is the sharpest and obviously the fastest. But looses the OIS. But there is something nice about the image.

The MKii for me is sharpest standard zoom, probably just as sharp as my previous 12-35mm and it’s hard to see any real difference with the Leica 12-60mm at the same apertures. However it took me 3 copies to get a good one and in the end I got a proper retail copy with metal mount not the plastic kit version. The optics are the same, but needed to option to take back, not buy of eBay.

What was wrong with the previous two lenses?

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

Still got the IBIS though!

#5 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:53 AM

I’ve got a copy of:

Lumix:
14-42mm MkI
14-42mm PZ
14-42mm MKII
12-25mm (now sold)
12-60mm f2.8-4 Leica
15mm f1.7

Thanks Richard! I did some research yesterday as well and the reviews seem to agree that the Panasonic 14-42mm MKii is the sharpest of the kit options, and not far off from the 12-35F2.8. So it's probably the best option. Only advantage of the Olympus 14-42EZ is that it has a closer minimum focus distance, so a bit better magnification when used with a diopeter. With the CMC-1, you get 0.9:1 reproduction ratio, which is already super-macro by full frame standards...

Added bonus is that it should work with dual I.S. in theory -- do you notice any difference between the stabilization with it vs something like the 15mm?

#6 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

What was wrong with the previous two lenses?

On one the aperture iris was closing properly, like one of the blades was stuck, on the other i had intermittent “lens not attached” messages

As the internal optic barrel is a sealed unit. Both were unserviceable.

Olympus 14-42EZ is that it has a closer minimum focus distance, so a bit better magnification when used with a diopeter. With the CMC-1, you get 0.9:1 reproduction ratio, which is already super-macro by full frame standards...

Added bonus is that it should work with dual I.S. in theory -- do you notice any difference between the stabilization with it vs something like the 15mm?

Never shot with that Olympus lens. But would take OIS over focus distance :-)

Dual IS is definitely a marked improvement over just IBIS or OIS. But the 15mm with IBIS is still really impressive.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#7 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

Why not the 12-35 mm and just zoom to 14mm to avoid vignetting? 

#8 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

I don’t believe the port is compatible
You can use the 12-32mm with the short port the lens is very small it may not even vignette

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#9 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

This was one of my thoughts too. But I didn’t find a flat port that would work.

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#10 nudibranco

nudibranco

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:30 AM

Really thinking about trying the ...

Panasonic 14-42mm MkII with the INON UWL-H100 and  dome unit.  The WWL1 is too big and heavy for my trips.

:fool:

#11 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:57 AM

Really thinking about trying the ... Panasonic 14-42mm MkII with the INON UWL-H100 and  dome unit.  The WWL1 is too big and heavy for my trips.

I use this combination typically it is nkt good for stilla as the lens has quite a bit of fringing but could be acceptable for video depending on background

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#12 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:08 AM

Really thinking about trying the ...

Panasonic 14-42mm MkII with the INON UWL-H100 and  dome unit.  The WWL1 is too big and heavy for my trips.

I looked at this option before settling on the WWL-1. But going on the samples I wasn't happy with the corner sharpness (which was the main reason moving away from a dome)

Also, Interceptor might be better placed to answer this, but I'm not sure if the UWL-H100 can handle zooming through like the WWL-1 can.

The other positive benefit of the INON setup is the ability to use Red Filters, that you can remove/add underwater. But in the end final image quality pushed me towards the WWL-1.

Edited by thetrickster, 30 March 2018 - 09:29 AM.

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#13 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

I looked at this option before settling on the WWL-1. But going on the samples I wasn't happy with the corner sharpness (which was the main reason moving away from a dome)

Also, Interceptor might be better placed to answer this, but I'm not sure if the UWL-H100 can handle zooming through like the WWL-1 can.

The other positive benefit of the INON setup is the ability to use Red Filters, that you can remove/add underwater. But in the end final image quality pushed me towards the WWL-1.

Zoom through works fine
On my blog there is an old post that compares the two lenses check it for yourself

http://interceptor12...le-lens-review/

Edited by Interceptor121, 30 March 2018 - 10:40 AM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#14 nudibranco

nudibranco

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:18 AM

Zoom through works fine
On my blog there is an old post that compares the two lenses check it for yourself

http://interceptor12...le-lens-review/

Hello Interceptor ... Thanks for the link ... very useful indeed.   I understood you used the LX100 for the camera in the test.  I think the 2cm air gap to the Nauticam port's glass will make a big difference.   Have you tried with the Olympus 14-42 MK2?  

#15 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:43 AM

Hello Interceptor ... Thanks for the link ... very useful indeed.   I understood you used the LX100 for the camera in the test.  I think the 2cm air gap to the Nauticam port's glass will make a big difference.   Have you tried with the Olympus 14-42 MK2?  

I had the short port so there was no major gap. The olympus lenses in that segment are worse in general than panasonic and are not stabilised so I never use them with exception of 60mm macro

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#16 nudibranco

nudibranco

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

I had the short port so there was no major gap. The olympus lenses in that segment are worse in general than panasonic and are not stabilised so I never use them with exception of 60mm macro

acc...  I meant Panasonic

#17 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

acc...  I meant Panasonic

Yes I know that lens very well I have been recommending it since long. I think trickster too got it after my review

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#18 uzun

uzun

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

Does the 15mm f/1.7 Panasonic lens work with the WWL-1?  Nauticam does not list it as compatible, but if you needed to shoot wide angle with a fast lens it might be a good alternative to the 14-42mm Lumix Mkii.  (I use the 14-42mm Mkii, and I do think the Dual IS, even though its just the old Dual IS helps).  

My ideal lens would be a WWL-1 compatible f/2.8 14-42mm that supports Dual IS2!  Wish there was such a thing.

#19 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

Does the 15mm f/1.7 Panasonic lens work with the WWL-1? 

Yes. With the Macro29 port :-)

My ideal lens would be a WWL-1 compatible f/2.8 14-42mm that supports Dual IS2!  Wish there was such a thing.

Yeah a fast 14-42mm ‘Premium Vario X’ lens would be pretty nice. But happy with the MKii at the moment.

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#20 uzun

uzun

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

So if I wanted to have a faster lens for wide angle available light with the WWL-1, I need :

1) Nauticam N85 Power Zoom Macro Port 29

2) The Panasonic f/1.7 15mm lens

Do I need some sort of 67mm to wwl-1 adapter in order to attach the wwl-1 to the Macro port 29?  

Why don't they list this as compatible in their lens chart for the panasonic I wonder?