• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

So, I'm getting a Sony RX100 VA and will be doing -mostly- bluewater/good vis video in tropical locations in the top 5-20m of depth.

1) I was recently alerted to the fact that white balance is an issue with the RX100 V/VI cameras - why can I not simply use auto white balance in video mode and adjust colour afterwards in Premiere using fast color corrector and such?

2) Also, I noticed something about there being a white balance meter in the centre of certain photo modes (which I presume would be easy to just use a white card for WB) however this feature is not available in video mode. This then goes on to note this does not matter as video can be started in any mode.. is the significance of this that you can do the white balance in any mode and then start video, thus tricking the camera into using the white balance you have set?

3) Shit this sounds like a lot of work freediving :-D

Cheers guyz
Adan
UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#2 Deinonych

Deinonych

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA Diving, Landscape Photography, Underwater Photography, Amateur Astronomy, Hiking

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

I don't have RX100 VA (I use a Panasonic GH5 which allows for MWB in video).  The reason you want to do a manual white balance is that you aren't shooting in RAW with video, and therefore don't have the same flexibility in post.

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2374 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

1. Sony has issues with custom white balance in water it tends to error a lot.

2. You can use auto with a filter

3. As auto white balance as a range up to 7000K you would loose a lot you can't recover in post

4. For freediving if you shoot during ascent and descent colors will be off anyway. Custom white balance does not hold with depth changes

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:32 PM

What about using lights?
UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2374 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:43 PM

What about using lights?

With lights you can work with auto some people set wb to the temperature of the lights not always worth it especially for wide angle

For freediving depends how deep you are you can set it to a preset appropriate on the day. At shallow depth lights have little to no effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#6 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:06 AM

<snip>

3) Shit this sounds like a lot of work freediving :-D

Cheers guyz
Adan

Free diving alone, without the added complexity of trying to take photos, sounds like a lot of work to me.

Panasonic Lumix GH5, Small HD, Nauticam
Public Safety Diver

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2374 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:11 AM

This is a video I took snorkelling and skin diving to around 40 feet
I want to have a streamlined negative rig with no lights and a small dome however here I had a 6” dome it was hard work

https://youtu.be/T7E9g0z6F0U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Interceptor121, 05 June 2019 - 03:12 AM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog