Housing protection Nauticam

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

With every housing I have th same problem: Always when I give the camera to a helping hand back on board of a safari boat, they put it on the floor and sooner or later the paint on the edge / bottom side of the Nauticam camera. is away....any idea for protection? I thought about foam rubber or equivalent...
Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Nikon 17-35mm, Zen 170 Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#2 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

With every housing I have thesame problem: Always when I give the camera to a helping hand back on board of a safari boat, they put it on the floor and sooner or later the paint on the edge / bottom side of the Nauticam camera - due to Zen 170 it stands not fully on the bottom side, but on the edge...any idea for protection? I thought about foam rubber or equivalent...
Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Nikon 17-35mm, Zen 170 Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#3 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

sorry, double post....@Admins: could you pls delete the older one? Sorry....

#4 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:53 AM

Damage to the finish of a housing is a common problem.  I use duct tape to protect my housing, with two layers on the bottom, one on top to protect the surfaces at risk.  The duct tape takes a beating, as shown in the first photo, but when I change the tape every two years or so, the finish is fine.  Any residual glue from the tape I remove with paint thinner or acetone.

To protect the live view window I use transparent package tape, which also works well and lasts several years.[attachment=41810:IMG_4422_resize.JPG][attachment=41811:IMG_4424_resize.JPG]

#5 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:56 AM

wow, thanks a lot! Never thought about package tape for window!! And I had always scratches...

#6 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:00 AM

To protect the bottom of our housings from being scratched when pushing them into the bottom when shooting macro I do the following.

Go to the  store and buy some 'non skid'  plastic strips that you put on the bottom of bathroom shower and tub.  Clean of bottom of your housing with alcohol and place strips where your paint is damaged.

Cheers

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#7 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2015 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

Duct tape?

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#8 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

Damage to the finish of a housing is a common problem.  I use duct tape to protect my housing, with two layers on the bottom, one on top to protect the surfaces at risk.  The duct tape takes a beating, as shown in the first photo, but when I change the tape every two years or so, the finish is fine.  Any residual glue from the tape I remove with paint thinner or acetone.

To protect the live view window I use transparent package tape, which also works well and lasts several years.attachicon.gifIMG_4422_resize.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4424_resize.JPG

And a bonus is no one wants to steal it!

Edited by tursiops, 26 December 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#9 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

I also use the transparent package tape to protect the live window of my cameras, it lasts nicely.  On my Olympus TG4 I use the tempered glass protector sold on eBay, it works and looks nice.   

#10 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:17 AM

Here in Florida, whenever we go out, we bring cooler bag, and tell the crew member to put our camera back to our own bag (never put into the the rinse tank of the boat). The crew members are good at that and that's why they get tips. Depends on your camera size, I just use cooler bag from regular sport store, but the concept of using cooler bag as protection is catching up so not they sell "special" camera bag..... take a look:

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=9114

#11 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:57 AM

Here in Florida, whenever we go out, we bring cooler bag, and tell the crew member to put our camera back to our own bag (never put into the the rinse tank of the boat). The crew members are good at that and that's why they get tips. Depends on your camera size, I just use cooler bag from regular sport store, but the concept of using cooler bag as protection is catching up so not they sell "special" camera bag..... take a look:

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=9114

Can u put fresh water in the cooler bag? And it not leak as the day pass?

#12 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:46 AM

Some good suggestions here. The non slip bath tape is a good idea, and so too the duct tape.

I’ve out grown a cool bag for my camera :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#13 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:17 AM

Can u put fresh water in the cooler bag? And it not leak as the day pass?

It depends on the quality of the cooler bag, and how old is the cooler bag. The cooler bag is designed to hold beer/pop/soda and ice, as the ice melt, it shouldn't leak. But over time, if your camera puncher the inner plastic lining, or if the cooler bag is old where the plastic lining become brittle, then yes, it will leak. However, these cooler bag are quite cheap (the one from the sport store), so you can replace it every few months if you need to.

#14 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:19 AM

Some good suggestions here. The non slip bath tape is a good idea, and so too the duct tape.

I’ve out grown a cool bag for my camera :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard, AO Cooler is big, I have seen people with 1DX + 2 kelden light + Atomos put into the bag, your GH5 is not that big :D

https://www.amazon.c...ge?ie=UTF8&th=1

#15 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:44 AM

I'll try to get one similar here in Europe.

What's the best size for a GH3 with a 7-14mm dome and two Keldan Luna 8?

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#16 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:41 AM

Richard, AO Cooler is big, I have seen people with 1DX + 2 kelden light + Atomos put into the bag, your GH5 is not that big :D

It’s not quite big enough

ce296121ce21004307ecbbd52c8b3ee6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#17 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:53 AM

As I suspected. The Luna 8 are longer than average strobes.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#18 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

Richard, you have the 48 can version of the bag? It's 13"x13"x21".

#19 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

Yup. That’s the 48 can one I have. It would probably fit better if it was more squared size, with a zip going around, not over the top

I also have the new CineBags case which is even smaller but with a better zip opening but it’s more like an AO 38 can size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#20 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

Richard are you able to close it?